How To Digitise Tascam Tapes?

danielpettitt

Hi everyone,

I've just joined this forum to find out about an issue I have really. I put up a wtb add in the classified section here but no joy, I was told by someone at Tascam that I needed a Tascam Porta Two which would allow me to digitise four track tascam tapes as seperate tracks through an audio interface onto my computer (creating seperate WAV files etc) so that I can re-mix/master my many old Tascam tapes.

I've been searching high and low for a Porta Two for a month or two now but no joy, does anyone know of a more readily available machine that will do the same job for me?

Thanks in advance,

Dan :)

I'm in the UK (north east england).

Any ideas? I just need a device and I haven't got a clue what to get.

I know I'm a newbie and dont' have a clue about this stuff, but I was hoping someone could give me a few pointers.

Hi Steenamaroo,

Thanks for that :) Appreciating the input.

Yes, my unit is the same as your ebay link, a Porta 2 MKII.

The other link, the guy with the query eventually bought a Tascam 424 MkIII - not meaning to appear stupid lol but will this machine transfer each of my 4 tracks seperately so they can digitised/mixed? ie not digitised in one transfer/mix all tracks together.

I contacted Tascam and they recommended a Porta Two, but they're so hard to get hold of, I've been looking for a couple of months now and no luck.

Thanks,

Dan :)

Yes!

The 424mkIII or 424mkII will be adequate to transfer 4 tracks from tape simultaneously in various speeds and either NR(dbx) or No-NR, through various switch settings for compatibility.

I'm not entirely clear from your posts if you state your tapes were originally recorded on a Porta 02mkII? Or what?

Anyway, to cut to the chase, the 424mkII or III will be perfectly adequate for this, as well as being a very good recorder in it's own right for new 4-track tape productions. There are other older Portastudios that will do this as well, but the 424mkII/III are more readily available and inexpensive.

:spank::eek:;)

Hi again guys (thanks for your help a couple of weeks ago!),

As an update - I've bought a 424 mk III on ebay, it arrived just the other day, it's a beautiful machine. I've rung my local music shop to ask what cables/wires and software I'll need. I have Steinburg's Wavelab 6 - I don't know if that'll do the job of transfering the 4 tracks simulteniously?

Other than that I've been advised to buy a Lexicon Omega audio interface to do the job, so considering buying one of those. I already have a MOTU 896 Audio interface, but not sure there are cables for it.

Again, thanks for your help peeps,

Dan

Back