How to create a Reference Track in Cubase?

Robertt8

Hey guys,

I had seen a great "step by step" online on how to create a new buss in Cubase to be used as a reference track.

I can't, for the life of me, find this again, but it was really simple and took less than a few steps to set up.

Can someone either point me in the right direction again or give me the necessary steps?

That said, I'm not looking to tweak a "Group Channel" as I already have a bunch of groups set up (another method).

Thanks!

++++++++++++++++
Okay...I eventually answered my own question, but for the record (and in case anyone wants to do it), here is the step by step...

HOW TO SET UP REFERENCE TRACK IN CUBASE
==========================================
1: Go to "VST CONNECTIONS” under “DEVICES” in the top nav bar
2: Go to “OUTPUTS” in select “ADD BUS”
3: Change name of new “STEREO” TO “REFERENCE TRACK” (or whatever)
4: Go to “Project window” and create new “AUDIO TRACK”. Name it “REFERENCE TRACK” (or whatever)
5: Select track and go to “FILE > IMPORT > AUDIO FILE” to physically import track.
6: While reference track is selected go to “OUTPUT ROUTING” usually says “STEREO” and change it to (new) “REFERENCE TRACK”
7: you can now “MUTE” or “SOLO” to bounce back and forth from song you’re working on and the separate “Reference Track”
+++++++++++++

Last edited:
There isn't a track type called a reference track - you can have arranger tracks, chord tracks, master tracks, tempo tracks, ruler tracks, signature tracks, transpose and marker tracks - what exactly to you want it to do? I tend to find tempo tracks and arranger tracks the most handy - but that's just me. What is your 'reference' track for?

It sounds like we're on two different pages.

I want to take a "reference song" (tune, track...whatever you want to call it) and import it into Cubase to try and match levels and basic sound characteristics (by ear). To do this you need to essentially create a new stereo output buss that I can route that song to so any plugins and tweaks to my master buss are not effecting the "reference song".

Okay...I eventually answered my own question, but for the record (and in case anyone wants to do it), here is the step by step...

HOW TO SET UP REFERENCE TRACK IN CUBASE
==========================================
1: Go to "VST CONNECTIONS” under “DEVICES” in the top nav bar
2: Go to “OUTPUTS” in select “ADD BUS”
3: Change name of new “STEREO” TO “REFERENCE TRACK” (or whatever)
4: Go to “Project window” and create new “AUDIO TRACK”. Name it “REFERENCE TRACK” (or whatever)
5: Select track and go to “FILE > IMPORT > AUDIO FILE” to physically import track.
6: While reference track is selected go to “OUTPUT ROUTING” usually says “STEREO” and change it to (new) “REFERENCE TRACK”
7: you can now “MUTE” or “SOLO” to bounce back and forth from song you’re working on and the separate “Reference Track”

That's how cubase sets up any kind of audio track - as in the ones you record to, or even internal synth tracks. The input and output routing system can all be renamed to give more sensible labels in the various panels and mixers. The only other choice you get is the type of audio track - mono or stereo.

Do you actually need to have this on a separate bus, using up two extra outputs? I assume you are routing these back to an external mixer to do something with. If I was doing this, as I frequently do, I just leave it on the same output bus as the other tracks. Some of my projects have multiple output busses, but as most of what I do is now inside Cubase, the other outputs are only handy for send to external effects and things like that? My label just says 'Guide', as the track name - I rarely bother to rename the busses any longer.

...so any plugins and tweaks to my master buss are not effecting the "reference song".

Common wisdom is to not put anything on the master buss. Any effects or processing should be done at the track level. Then later, after mixdown, you can add global processing to the two-track. Doing it this way would allow you to just import the reference track without the need for another output buss.

But it looks like you got it going, so kinda moot at this point.

yeah man,

Simply using a group channel to send everything to, would eliminate the need for any 'reference' track. You can treat it as the 'stereo' out bus. Do whatever compression/eq/limiting there.

Leave the Stereo out alone.

That being said, I usually work from tracking to mixdown with my basic limiter on the stereo out. I work mostly with bands that are not going to send their mixes to a outside mastering engineer anyway so...

Back