How to convert soundfont to waves via Vsampler?

Leeking

I tried the SEARCH engine but can't really find a direct answer....

Trying to improve my drum sounds (JV1010) I tried playing a round with soundfonts and Vsampler lately.

Through the SEARCH engine I have enough info to let me play around and using Vsampler....

I am using Audiophile2496 and Vsampler as a DXi in Sonar to play soundfont....

Now I am trying to figure out how to convert the soundfont tracks to audio for further processing... it's quite confusing and I can't figure out the best way....

The cakewalk helpfiles suggest that the way to convert DXi tracks to audio is by using "bounce to track"... I tried that with success but find it to be quite troublesome... are there other ways?

Soundfonts user with non-SBLive cards, please share how have you been using and recording with soundfont. :)

Thanks!
Leeking

Leeking said:
Soundfonts user with non-SBLive cards, please share how have you been using and recording with soundfont. :)
I've been using LiveSynth Pro since Sonar 1 came around. And I love it!

I don't see why you should have to Bounce to Tracks before processing. Just smack the effects on VSamplers output track, and you're good to go! :)

James Argo said:
Anyway, Leeking, you headed right way. "Bounce to tracks" is the way to go. What's your specific problem? :)

ps. Gong Xi Fat Chai... :D

Thanks James! :)

I actually don;t have a specific problem yet as I am stiill testing the waters with Vsampler and soundfont. Just want to do things the right way....

I did some more playing around and test out some drum sounds with Blue Jay and Golddrum.... sounded good.
Looks like I can take that drum machine off my to-buy list. ;)

What version of Sonar are you runing, Leeking? :) Sonar 3 comes with bunch of samples on the CDs. I haven't checked 'em all, but looks like perfect combination of samples and soundfonts will make drum machine obsolete earlier :D

;)
Jaymz

Virtual sampler

I am using Sonar2. :)

You use Vsampler for the samples as well? (.wav files)

is it the same concept as using soundfonts files?

I use Sonar 3 PE, keep SBLive! to play soundfonts beside Delta 1010LT. I use IK Sampletank came with the 1010LT to play wave sample, thus I rarely use VSampler. I was thinking of using Vsampler3, but then again I had problem running it when I upgrade to Sonar 3.1 patch (for my case I think). Sonar shut down if I open the Vsampler control panel. I send Cakewalk this problem, but looks like I'm not the only one... :)

Hi james,

I remember seeing in previous threads you said Sonar can record SBLive! Soundfont internally... can you guide me in doing that?

I have Audiophile2496 and SBLive! value in my PC. But in Sonar, the only audio inputs I can see is from Audiophile2496. Is there something wrong?

The MIDI part of SBLive! in Sonar is working well though....

My sonar is version 2.0

Leeking said:
Refering to the pic attached, I dun seem to have a choice to choose "Stereo SBLive! Wave Device"...
That's correct (if my memory is not failing me). Now, open the Creative Mixer and set the recording source to "Midi Synth" and you're good to go. :)

can you guide me in doing that?

Sure :)

I have Audiophile2496 and SBLive! value in my PC. But in Sonar, the only audio inputs I can see is from Audiophile2496. Is there something wrong?

Nothing is wrong :) I assumed you use ASIO driver. All you need to do is to switch the driver to either WDM or MME. If you use ASIO driver on Options-->Audio-->Advanced tab. And on Options-->Audio-->General tab you must use 16bit 44.1Khz, because that's the best SBLive! can handle. Run wave profiler and restart Sonar.

Refering to the pic attached, I dun seem to have a choice to choose "Stereo SBLive! Wave Device"...

Is there something wrong with my Sonar-SBLive! configuration?

As I mentioned, there's nothing wrong with your setup. All you need is to do is use either WDM or MME driver mode in Sonar, and set audio default to 16/44.1. After that, SBLive! will show on the Options-->Audio-->Drivers tab. Select SBLive! for input and output driver.

The rest procedure can be found on the link you mentioned above :)

;)
Jaymz

Thanks guys...

Hmmm, I am pretty sure I had the "always use MME" box checked....:confused:

anyway, will verify tonight when I get home. :)

will let you know the outcome. :)

great news guys!

after some tweaking and reinstalling last night... finally got everything to work and now I can play AND record soundfonts with my SBLive! :)

One last question, ;)
Do you always records soundfont in stereo....? Are their samples always in stereo, if not, how to tell them apart? :)

Thanks mucho!

Leeking said:
after some tweaking and reinstalling last night... finally got everything to work and now I can play AND record soundfonts with my SBLive! :)
Now, why would you destroy a good setup with a SB Live!-card? :rolleyes: ;)

Mono/Stereo soundfonts? That's easy! Use your ears! Are they stereo samples? If you don't know, then you can record a tiny bit in mono and hear if the sound is changed dramaticly. If it does, then I'm betting on stereo-samples. :)

Back