How to connect DBX 119

Alexi said:
hi there,

can anybody tell me how i can use my DBX119 with my presonus firepod.
The 119 has strangle little ins and outs.......any infos would be very appreciated.

cheers

The dbx has unbalanced inputs/outputs. Here is one way to do it, assuming that your signal chain is Micpre-compressor-recorder: From the line output of your unit, connect a TRS-RCA connector (1/4 TRS to 2 RCA connector Y-cable) to the left and right input (A, B) on the dbx. Then, using an identical Y-cable (2 RCA to 1/4 TRS) to connect the Line output of the dbx (it has 2 pairs of outputs; the line output is the pair closest to the top) to your recorder/soundcard.

Flip the mode switch on the dbx so it is up (i.e. on 'above threshold', and not on 'linear' mode). The big dial is your ratio. At 1.0, it will let the signal pass unaltered. Counterclockwise will increase the ratio (give more gain reduction). The threshold is the little knob.

so if i want to use it on the whole recorded drumset, i'll just put my 8 drum tracks into one of these logic (i am working with logic) busses, address the right out to my firepod...then into the dbx and back into the firepod?

am i right :confused:

dbx compressor

teainthesahara said:
The dbx has unbalanced inputs/outputs. Here is one way to do it, assuming that your signal chain is Micpre-compressor-recorder: From the line output of your unit, connect a TRS-RCA connector (1/4 TRS to 2 RCA connector Y-cable) to the left and right input (A, B) on the dbx. Then, using an identical Y-cable (2 RCA to 1/4 TRS) to connect the Line output of the dbx (it has 2 pairs of outputs; the line output is the pair closest to the top) to your recorder/soundcard.

Flip the mode switch on the dbx so it is up (i.e. on 'above threshold', and not on 'linear' mode). The big dial is your ratio. At 1.0, it will let the signal pass unaltered. Counterclockwise will increase the ratio (give more gain reduction). The threshold is the little knob.

I have a dbx 118, which looks to be similar to the 119, and have it set up in the above way. My question is, what is linear mode? I've tried using it, but don't understand what the controls do in this case for compression. Thanks.

In "above threshold" the compressor or expander only functions above the set threshold. In "linear" mode, the compressor or expander functions all the time, both below and above threshold. In the case of compression, the gain is reduced by the appropriate ratio above the threshold and the gain is increased below the threshold. The opposite is true for expansion.

Back