How to conduct a microphone shootout/test

bvp663

Maybe this belongs in the microphone forum..

I recently reformatted my macbook and hauled out my rack case to make sure all the gear connected to Logic properly and then realized "wow. I haven't even recorded on this thing in 2 years."

With that realization, I'm on a mission to cull the thousands of dollars I have in equipment and sell it off to buy into a simpler setup (I'm thinking Apogee Duet with 2-3 mics).

Anyways, I want to decide which of the microphones I own I should keep. Seeing as I don't record much anymore I don't know my mics very well so the next logical step would be an extensive testing of each one on different sources so I can judge the quality of mics as well as post them so other people can benefit.

So. any tips on what and how to record? I imagine I'll use each mic to record a variety of different sources (male vocals, female vocals, acoustic guitar, amps, piano, cello). Any suggestions on how best to proceed? Also, is there a good place to upload the result mic tests so everyone can take a listen? I'm surprised there isn't some sort of user-contributed mic shootout repository yet. (All you web guy out there, get on it!)

You wouldn't want a user library of mic "shootouts" because many of them are poo, rendered worthless by poor methodology.

Look, for what you are doing you need one good (ideally multipattern) LDC and a pair of good SDCs. Some people would simply go with two LDCs, but they are wrong :D The preference for LDC is dependent on the voices in question, but if you intend to record a range of voices you should shoot down the middle.

So tell us what you have, and we'll tell you what to keep.

Good point on the microphone recording database idea. You're totally right on that one. :)

Since you offered, I would love to get some advice on how best to slim down my recording setup. Here's all the gear I own:

Gator 8-unit rack case with: Furman Power Conditioner, RME Fireface 800, Furman RNP

Studio Microphones
Audix CD11
EV Cobalt Co4
Shure SM57
Studio Projects C1
ADK Vienna
Groove Tubes gt44 (x2)

Documentary/other microphones
Zoom H2
Sanken CS3e (for filming)
Sony ECM -DS70P stereo lapel mic

The majority of my recording (about 60%) is acoustic instrumentals. Usually just me with an acoustic getting down song ideas. For the past year I've usually just grabbed the Zoom H2 to get the idea down and be done with it with the intention of re-recording it with proper studio mics later (which obviously hasn't happened yet. Life gets in the way of music sometimes.)

Next in line I probably record my vocals the most (10%), against for song idea stuff (even though i'm a terrible singer). I also do a lot voiceover/narration work for documentary films and other client projects I work on. (10%)

The last 20% of recording I do is probably female vocals, piano, cello, and group jam sessions. Drums.... I haven't recorded in 5 years.

So the idea is to kind of dump everything and start from scratch. Replace the ridiculous 16 channel Fireface (of which I've only used 4 channels at most) with an Apogee Duet and whittle the microphones down to maybe 3. Get rid of the giant gator case whose covers are a pain in the butt to lock/unlock anyways and put all recording gear in a smaller clear bin that's more easily accessible.

That said, I will have some cash from selling most of this stuff and I've been thinking about maybe purchasing a higher-end mic. I've been looking at the Mojave MA-200, Blueberry Woodpecker, AKG414 and others.

Happily open to suggestions on which mics to keep or if I should just sell all of them and use the money to invest in 2-3 versatile higher quality ones.

Thanks!

Back