How to clean a guitar speaker?

metalj

I have a classic MESA verticle 2x12 cab. It has the original EV speaker in it and it is very dusty. I have the perception that dust will eventually ruin the speaker. Is that true? If so what would be the proper way to clean the speaker off?

Would just gently using a damp bath style rag work?

Do I even need to clean it?

Thanks

no don't use a damp rag ..... it's paper .... you don't want to get it even slightly damp.

And no ..... dust won't ruin the speaker ..... why would it?

If you really want to clean it just use a dry rag or one of those swiffer thingie and/or possibly one of those cans of compressed air to blow the dust off.
Or better yet just don't bother.
It's not at all impossible that a slip of the hand could damage the cone.

Lt Bob is correct no moisture should be used and that dust will not cause speaker failure.
I use a soft paint brush to get dust off a speaker.

LOL !! Now that is funny !!

Thanks for the reply guys. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that the dust eventually causes speaker rot.

Hot and cold changes are not good, and a dry climate is not such a good thing either. Dust is just dirty looking. Got Swiffer? :)

I am a little OCD when it comes to cleaning so I feel like I have to keep my speakers dust free. I use a swiffer and don't put much pressure on the speaker. I've used compressed air, but you have to stand pretty far back or else it's too powerful and can blow up cones. Or, best option don't touch them, unless you can't stand it and it keeps you up at nights (maybe I should see someone about this problem).

LOL !! Now that is funny !!

Thanks for the reply guys. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that the dust eventually causes speaker rot.

Not dust, but moisture. While traveling, our speakers went from hot to cold/then cold to hot many, many, times a week. Didn't hurt them a bit, they are designed for such scenarios. In a perfect world, it's a good idea to let them warm up slowly.

Don't fret about a little dust.

Back