How to build up a flow?

ItzCashew

I been trying to rap lately and i cant seem to find a flow. People tell me that i dont have a flow in my raps but i want to know how to build up a flow. I want to know how you guys did it and how u guys build it up.

finally a topic that i can help out in.....

for me it just took time......... it wasnt always there..... but to help you out i'd need to hear some of your material so i could see what your doing wrong

yeah you need to first show us what your working with and we'll show you how we'll fix it. or at least I will

Oh yeah i was in a hurry and forgot to drop a link.
Well dont laugh at me im new to this, started like 2 months ago with no one to help me i had to basically learn on my own. But here is my soundclick with my friends.
I'm Cash and my friend is Run. The first song is just a random song that i did with other people like a couple weeks ago.

www.soundclick.com/cashandrun

wow this is a hard one...... i sound like your just late on the beat to me.... i've only listened to Once im goin........ one thing i'd say do is to take out some words make your lines as short as possible but to where they still make sence..... also it sounds like your reading off a paper.... try memorizing your verse then spittin it........ also if ur doing a track like this try listenin to the original.... see how em flowed on it and take some pointers from him.... not sayin take his flow just pay attention to how he comes in and rides the beat.......

Thats the problem man. I did listen to Em, i actually tried to mimic him but it didn't work. But the problem is that im not reading it off a piece of paper im saying it as i remembering it. It sounds monotone no matter if i read or receit it...>_<

I agree with Fyre, looks like you just need a better sense of rhythm, and maybe a little better orginization of your lyrics... lyrics shouldnt flow OVER the beat, they should flow WITH the beat, y'know? Just keep practicing, freestlying and rapping over random beats, and your sense of rhythm will improve and eventually you will just "feel" the beat with your voice. Hope that helps...

ItzCashew said:
Thats the problem man. I did listen to Em, i actually tried to mimic him but it didn't work. But the problem is that im not reading it off a piece of paper im saying it as i remembering it. It sounds monotone no matter if i read or receit it...>_<

I have that problem too, man. First of all, dont copy anyones style. Take the time to develop your own flow, just experiment with all different styles, speeds, melodies, etc, and find what works for you. As far as the monotone, I have that same problem, and I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it. I know it can be fixed though, becuase Nas and many other rappers have monotone speech voices, but not when they rap.

Yeha i hear you man, but you know it only been 2 months so i haven't been exposed too much to this.
Well i learned to land on snares, and count syllables now hopefully that helps.

pretty much its just practice...... thats all two months isnt long at all...... give it more time and just keep working at it..... to this day im still working on my flow and my style is ever changing and im been rapping for about 7 years so...... keep workin

yo fyre... any advice for monotone rapping? I've bin rapping for 4 years now, and I still got a fuckin monotone rapping voice. I've tried reciting lyrics and all that, no luck.

Yeah thnxs for the good words. Cuz other ppl been telling a lot of negative feedback that made me want to give up. But thnxs to people like you guys to help me out.

ItzCashew said:
Yeah thnxs for the good words. Cuz other ppl been telling a lot of negative feedback that made me want to give up. But thnxs to people like you guys to help me out.

Cash, remember this: If getting negative feedback makes you want to give up, then that proves you are in music for the wrong reasons anyway. People who are only motivated by the fame and fortune, they give up when things dont go their way. People who do music because they have a real passion for it, they dont give up, no matter what. You may never get signed or even recognized, but if you love doing it, why stop? Ya feel me? I have my bad days all the time, somtimes I got major writers block, sometimes I'm so monotone I could put myself to sleep, but y'know, I just love music, period. I do this shit for me, not for the streets or for anyone else.

Yeah i understand you man. When i started it was because i was looking for an outlet for my stress. And i found it. See i never gave up....i just wanna try harder and harder. But i need tips.

If your looking for an outlet for stress, I strongly suggest poetry. I know many people kinda cringe at the word, but I have been writing poetry for years, and to me it is the greatest way to express your emotions and get shit off ya chest y'know. And plus, you dont have to worry about your flow and being monotone and shit, and it's also a lot more versitle than rap lyrics... but, just a suggestion...

Yeah i feel you but theres something about rap that just pulls me into it. I never really had much passion for something like this. I've been tyring to elevate since day 1. Always looking for new tips, tricks, what have you, you know.

Really man, the best tip I and probably anyone else could give you, is just to experiment, practice, and study the greats. Experiment with every possible rap style, practice everyday, and listen to rap music, studying the rappers' flow and how they manuever their words through the beat. Like you said, you've bin at this for 2 months, so you havent even nearly gotten started yet. You got a long way to go and a lot to discover, so keep at it.

Back