How to build cheap bass traps

I honestly don't know if I'll build them, but if I ever do, your "tutorial" was excellent, and appreciated. Really good job. Thanks....

1 positive feedback for you!!! :D

Cool. Glad it is getting use. I have to also give props to Ethan Winer as that is where I got many of the ideas for these.

this is really good...im getting ready to embark on this kind of thing...hopefully this well help get rid of some of the horrible echo i have without breaking the wallet.

what frequencys are the panels with just cloth?
i always forget...

i know Ethans had three types, two with the thin wood panels and one just cloth material over the fiberglass.

Last edited:
Don't confuse broad band with the helmholtz resonators that Ethan has plans for. Helmholtz resonantors by their nature are a narrow band absorber... so they may only cover an octave effectively for example (but they are VERY effective in that one octave). These are broad band absorbers which means they cover the whole spectrum of sound. Of course they are more effective in certain areas of the spectrum than others. However, you really need a large room to make a helmholtz design worth it as you need a bunch of helmholtz traps and in a small room, you generally don't have the space. Broad band absorbers like this are sort of the marriage between effectivness and space efficiency. According to Ethan on his forum, rooms below about 10x16 shouldn't even bother with more complicated traps. (And I can bet most of us home recording folks are in a bed room that size or smaller.)

If you are really interested, here is the NRC of the material I used. Keep in mind, this is just the NRC of the material mounted flush to the wall. (An NRC value of 1 = all sound is absorbed. Higher values are a side effect of the process used to measure the material. Read Ethan's site for more info on this.)

CO-EFFICIENTS AT FREQUENCIES
Thickness 125 250 500 1000 2000 4000
1.5” 0.17 0.58 1.06 1.07 1.00 0.99 0.95
2.0” 0.39 0.84 1.08 1.01 1.02 1.01 1.00
3.0” 0.68 0.92 1.08 1.03 1.03 1.03 1.10
4.0” 1.00 0.95 1.06 1.04 1.06 1.08 1.05

So you can see the stuff I used is rated at 1.00 at 125hz at a 4" thickness assuming it is mounted flush to the wall with no air space behind it. The thing is, there are frequencies above and below that point that may have a difference NRC measurement. This is why we space the traps away from the wall to try to cover an even wider range of frequencies effectively.

As for cost, these were about $35 each once you figure in fabric, hardware, 3M adhesive, and insulation. The 2" mid/high panels are about $12-14 less.

Last edited:
thanks..very well put. i'd read Ethans several times, but never caught the
comment on the "broad band and small HR rooms 10x16"..

I imagine most small rooms have close to the same issues. <300hz range.
I just did some rta reads and its interesting to me anyway, you can actually see where things will start adding or subtracting as you move speakers or the mic around.

wish Home Depot sold something worthwhile I'd add a few more traps on the walls.

The mineral wool is Roxul RHT 80. I got it from an insulation supplier here in Columbus called Interior Supply. However, don't get hung up on brand. There are a lot of equivalent semi rigid insulation products out there from Fibrex, Owens Corning, Johns-Manville, and a few others. The key thing is the density. It seems what most folks find the easiest in the states is the Owens Corning 705FRK. For whatever reason Europe tends to have the mineral wool products more readily available.

Thanks a lot. The guitarist in my band is an independent contractor so he might be able to get some stuff through his own channels. I really want to treat our rehearsal space as it totally annihilates the sound of my bass.

It's a bummer that the OC stuff is probably the easiest to find since I won't buy OC for personal reasons.

Look around. Use the Yellow Pages and I am sure you'll find an OC alternative. Interior Supply has a Cleveland location, so give them a shout. They were very good to work with. I am almost certain they could also get the Johns-Manville.

Back