How to build a condensor mic!

All of the ones I built (it's been a while) have been too noisey for my intended application, as in too much "hiss". I gave a pair w/ power supplys to a friend and he loves them for recording live jams/gigs. They do capture a fairly realistic representation.

I did it. The capsules in the article aren't available anymore, and the ones used as replacements aren't exactly the same. The mics sound good, but are a bit noisy. Phantom power will kill the batteries, as the circuit is not passive.

Spaztic said:

Yes, Digikey has a minimum order of $25 or you pay a $5 handling fee plus shipping. And generally components like resistors come in packages of 10. So by the time you are done, you'll have spend probably $40, maybe more.

The Behringer ECM8000/Apex 220 is $50 and comes with a clip for attachment to a mic stand.

If you like to tinker and spend money, there are better circuits you could build, for example that use phantom power. The author's "proprietary" 9V battery circuit was touted as being useful for location recording, but most of the time in a studio phantom power is much more convenient.

If you want to build your own something or other, check out www.paia.com (Thank You John Simonton and Craig Anderton)

download their catalog, their stuff is great quality for home studio use, particularly the parametric eq, tube mic preamp, line mixer, and headphone distribution amp.

but save another $50 and buy a decent MXL mic......

Back