how to bounce tracks on Tascam 244 Portastudio?

topolino

well I looked all through this homerecording bbs, and to be sure lots of people asked how to bounce tracks and received answers of varying levels of helpfulness, but nothing aimed specifically at me.

yes, I have some of the manual (a photocopied version missing lots of pages and in an apparently random order).

then I went to Tascam dot com, and indeed they have some manuals free for the downloading, which is awfully nice of them; however, they're sadly lacking the manual for my machine, which is admittedly rather old.

so, we come to the rub: can anyone walk me through, step-by-step, how to bounce tracks on my Tascam 244 Portastudio? Like exactly which knobs to twiddle and how to do so?

thanks in advance, this is a great website, very helpful

You need to put the tracks you want to bounce into repro (usually labelled "Tape" on the input select switch in each channel), assign them to the appropriate Buss and arm the target track (make sure the "Record Ready" switch for that track is in the "On" position).

You might even have to pan the bounce tracks left or right, depending on whether you're bouncing to an odd numbered track or an even numbered one.

or if u want the tracks ur bouncing to be in stereo... then mix those tracks down to a cassette deck and then stick that tape into the machine.

I don't think that'll work with the 244. If I remember correctly it only runs at 3.75 IPS (twice the speed of a stereo cassette deck).

I might be wrong and it might be dual speed. BUT, personally, I wouldn't swap the greater fidelity of 3.75 just for the sake of having stereo drums.

no, the speed's not adjustable. and yeah, at this point, stereo schmereo

I'm just about to try this, as I have only just found all my cords and adaptors. cross your fingers

Don't forget to push up the channel faders, for the tracks you're bouncing, and the Master fader :)

Back