How to achieve zero-latency monitoring with Firepod + HP60?

jndietz

The Way It Moves
So, I picked up a PreSonus HP60 on the Bay for cheap. However, after thinking about how to make this work, I have to send the output of my DAW (Adobe Audition 3) to the outs on the FP10, then back into the HP60. However, in doing this, I get the slightest bit of lag. My PC can't handle tracking at such a low latency.

How could I split the signal so that I could send my inputs directly into the HP60? Am I hosed?

Send your inputs into the Firepod. Signal goes from there via firewire to PC (and back again).

Connect the HP60 to the firepod using the cue/mix line outputs on the back of the firepod.

Connect monitors to the main cr output on the firepod.

Use the inputs/playback mixer knob on the firepod to control how much you hear of the direct input and of the playback. Turn off software monitoring in AA (unless you specifically need to hear the effect of plugins you may be using in real time).

Send your inputs into the Firepod. Signal goes from there via firewire to PC (and back again).

Connect the HP60 to the firepod using the cue/mix line outputs on the back of the firepod.

Connect monitors to the main cr output on the firepod.

Use the inputs/playback mixer knob on the firepod to control how much you hear of the direct input and of the playback. Turn off software monitoring in AA (unless you specifically need to hear the effect of plugins you may be using in real time).

Thanks for the info. However -- I'm not sure this will work completely. The outputs on the back of the Firepods are to be assigned by the DAW. They aren't hooked up to the same "mix" knob on the front of the Firepod. Meaning, Input 1 does not necessarily go to Output 1. It has to go to the PC and back again before going out to the HP60.

Short answer: RTFM, page 16.

Sorry, this isn't terribly helpful. The outputs of the Firepod are mapped by the DAW. They aren't connected to the mix knob in anyway. The mix knob is fine if you are only recording one musician at a time. When the HP60 comes into play, this is thrown out the window.

Might just be time to upgrade to some nicer stuff.

Thanks for the info. However -- I'm not sure this will work completely. The outputs on the back of the Firepods are to be assigned by the DAW. They aren't hooked up to the same "mix" knob on the front of the Firepod. Meaning, Input 1 does not necessarily go to Output 1. It has to go to the PC and back again before going out to the HP60.

Sorry, this isn't terribly helpful. The outputs of the Firepod are mapped by the DAW. They aren't connected to the mix knob in anyway. The mix knob is fine if you are only recording one musician at a time. When the HP60 comes into play, this is thrown out the window.

That's not what the manual says.

Main. This knob allows control over the output level for the MAIN CR OUTPUT 1 and 2 on the back of the
FIREPOD. It has a range of -80db to +10dB.

Mix. The mix knob is like a balance control. It balances the headphone MAIN and CUE outputs between
Inputs 1-8 and playback outputs 1 and 2. This feature is an analog hardware mixer, so it allows you to
monitor the signal before it goes to your computer providing zero latency monitoring.

CUE Mix Line Out. This outputs the results of the setting of the Mix knob on the front of the unit. The Mix
knob is a balance control between the inputs and the first two outputs.

Main CR Output. These outputs are the same as line outputs 1 and 2. The level of this output is controlled
by the Main volume knob on the front of the unit. The Mix knob on the front of the unit also affects the
Main CR Output.

Back