How to achieve a more spacious vocals

TylerW

Hi guys, so I just have a pretty general question. I was listening to one of my favorite bands yesterday and I heard this really sweet mixing effect on the vocals. I've heard it before, but I never got around to asking about it. What it sounds like is a main vocal track mixed dead center, and then there's another panned to one or both extreme(s). I can't tell if it is double tracked or just a delay on it. The one to the extreme sounds a bit darker and less upfront. Maybe this is because it has more reverb than the main vocal track? Do any of you have an idea as to what I am talking about, and if so, how this is done.

Here is a link to the song. Vocals start 15 seconds in. On 480p I can hear it, so hopefully you can too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last Breath - o'brother - YouTube

Sounds triple-tracked to me. Center vox and a track on each side. the side tracks didn't sound too much darker than the center track, but I'm sure my ears aren't so good anymore. I here sibilance in the side tracks, so high's aren't pulled back too much. Not sure about how different the reverb is, but volume is slightly lower than centered vox.

I only listened to about 30 seconds worth. Hopefully, I heard what you're asking about.

peace,

Thanks for the reply. After reading your response I gave it a listen and I do hear what you are talking about. I've been confused about this for a while because I'm still an amateur. I'll wait for others to chime in though, see if they have any other opinions.

I agree with Chili. You can hear that sometimes the words are tight, and sometimes the "sss" sounds don't like up.

You could probably emulate the sound by doing a main vocal as you normally would, then recording two more copies for left and right, and thinning them out a bit.
If there's loads of bass in the vox it will sound muddy rather than spacious.

Yes this sounds like triple tracking. And then different effects added to each of the outside tracks to give even more sense of depth.

Adding differing delays to each outside track and differeing EQs is nice.

G

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have to try out your suggestions on my next session. I can never get a good sound on vocals, or anything for that matter, unfortunately. I just don't understand EQ enough, but I'm sure that half the issue lies with my novice micing techniques. Oh well.

It could also be two tracks, a main vocal dead center and two copies of the same second vocal panned hard Left and Right with a delay of about 10ms on the right track, which gives the second vocal a real wide sound.

Back