How should I label my wall plates?

Michael Jones

I have 16 mic and 4 - 1/4" leads in my Live room, 12 mic and 4 - 1/4" leads in my Drum room, and 4 mic and 2 - 1/4" leads in my vocal booth.

How should I label these?

I was thinking of something like:
LR MIC 1
LR MIC 2...
LR PH 1
LR PH 2...

DR MIC 1
DR MIC 2...

You get the idea.

Is that stupid, or is there an "industry standard" method of labeling wall plates?

Make sure everyone has a unique number. Then add the delimieters to help you know what room. If you starts mixing numbers where you have more than one "1" you will find yourself messing up while your not mentally optimized. I start with the 1-16 DR, 16-32 LR, 33-40 VB etc... Never repeat numbers IMO.

SoMm

are there any online stores that you can get wall plates from?
and B> do they result in the degradation of a signal at all? thanks

ok well i have found several dealers of wallplateson the net but am having trouble finding what i am looking for. I'm looking one with like 8 xlr imputs and one with like 8 trs 1/4 imputs.

I bet whirlwind or CBI will make whatever you want. Wall/floor pockets are also cool. Panels and pockets don't affect the signals at all, they are just XLRs stuck in a panel. You can use multipair snake wire, saving room and $$$.

CBI

whirlwind

Also, it's really just a plate with holes. A local machine shop could whip one up in a flash. Then just buy panel XLR jacks, 1/4" jacks, a rivet gun, and off you go.

Back