How "permanent" are home-recorded CDs?

overseas

We all know that tape formats degrade over time, but what about CDs? I've heard of cases in which CDs actually fell apart.

I want to know this because, before they deteriorate any further, I'd eventually like to archive all my old cassette-based recordings on some other more durable medium. Cds seem to be the safest route. Can anyone offer further enlightenment on this issue? I'm thinking about purchasing a CD-R (not a computer-based model, though, because I don't have access to my own computer).

Thanks in advance...

Bruce in Korea

longevity

The longevity of a CD-R disc depends on the type of CD. The CD-Rs are made with different dyes.

The "green" discs last about 75 years, and are made from cyanine dye.

The "gold" discs last about 100 years and are made from phthalocyanine dye.

The "platinum" discs last about 200 years and are made from an "advanced" phthalocyanine dye.

The elements, especially heat and humidity, are very bad for CD-R discs. CD-R discs supposedly last longer than pressed CDs, but they are less resistant to the elements, so keep them in a cool, dry place if you plan on keeping them awhile. And don't leave them in the car.

Keep in mind that CD-Rs haven't been around for 75 years, so the data is not COMPLETELY proven, but those scientists sure can be smart.

Any more CD-R questions, http://www.cdrfaq.org/ is a VERY VERY VERY extensive and useful site, although you might have to search a little to find what you want.

River

Thanks, rivercity! You answered my question in a comprehensive way.

(Congrats on posting out of the Dragon Cave, too!)

Bruce in Korea

Back