Votes: 10 11.0%
  • I Quilt

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I think I voted in the wrong poll

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • All my guitars are in VP's shop

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I practice daily and go in spurts with the things I work on... Right now Im in my sweep picking arpeggio stage... theres also the "I want to be british stage" (which doesnt happen offen) the "I'm going to rip out your intestines and sleep with your wife while I watch you die" phase, the "I wish I was a singer phase".. and the very confused "Is that Eric Clapton" phase...

Strange.

Since I don't really play anymore{gig}..Never!When I was a kid from my teens to my late twentys, I think thats all I did..Right now my hand would proboly lock up.LOL.

Don

I usually try to practice on someone else's nickel. For my gigs I play a lot of solo backround music on guitar and since nobody's paying attention anyway I use that time to invent and improvise.

From time to time I get new books on theory or download something interesting on technique but actual practicing sort of gets pushed in with cleaning tile grout or the garage.

It would take about 8 hours a day to keep what I'd consider chops on the instruments I have not counting guitar. There's just no time. For the last several years in home recording I've tended to put in 15 or 20 minutes with an instrument for a specific part and then record it, then it stays in it's case till something else comes up.

i pratice around 1 hr a week, but i don't think i am now doing somthings that really can improve my skills, i just playing the songs which i learn some years ago... haha! anyway, is there anyone can tell me how to be a useful practice? and i also wanna ask that is there any sites that have some lessons about some guitar riff and how to play funk! thanks a lot!

zaxi said:
i pratice around 1 hr a week, but i don't think i am now doing somthings that really can improve my skills, i just playing the songs which i learn some years ago... haha! anyway, is there anyone can tell me how to be a useful practice?

That's a can of worms.

I usually warm up with scales and maybe some new riffs, often with a metronome. Then I may practice songs for upcoming gigs. Then I'll learn new songs or riffs.

I've found the best way to improve when I've gone stale is to learn new riffs and songs. That is always guaranteed to get me out of a rut.

and i also wanna ask that is there any sites that have some lessons about some guitar riff and how to play funk! thanks a lot!

I always liked:
www.guitartricks.com

Right now it looks like they're revamping the site.

A useful practice is one where you focus on your inadequacies.

Record yourself and determine where you can improve. Assess where you think your technique needs work. Write down some goals as to where you want your endeavor to take you. Determine how long you can practice each day, and schedule it out so that you can work on making improvements, learning new stuff, and end it with just having fun.

You will only improve on what you work on.. If you just play the same songs over and over each day, you'll get really good at them until it becomes habit.. then it turns into burnout.. So always look slightly ahead of what your focusing on, and make changes in your routine from time to time to avoid getting bored with it.

Cy

I rarely get to just flat out practice, in fact, im lucky if I get to go into my studio once a week, other than practicing with my band. It does show, I am not as clean as I used to be. Hopefully, things will lighten up at work and my health will improve some, so I can get back into the swing of things. Man, getting old sucks. I hit 38 in a few days and I feel like its 100. Maybe if I would lose 10 or 100 pounds or so.

i think the whole idea of learning the guitar is related to everybodys different ambition levels... Ive never had guitar lessons but wanted to learn really bad when I was ~15... I sat in my room countless nights listening to the best players out there and learned and learned.
somebody else i know had lessons and learned music theory but the ambition level of a turtle.. and is still trying to learn Lynard Skynard solos .... so that will set you back a lifetime or so.

Also this picture is hanging on my wall

Never give up!

Hey all,

I try to practice the guitar and piano about 1 to 1 1/2 hours each per day. Also I am in the process of learning the basics of theory. I have loved and created music for about 2-3 years, and wish I had learned it earlier, so I am now taking the time to at least learn and know the basics. Never had a teacher at either instrument-and partly the reason is because I don't want to learn other people's songs.
I wanted the skills and ear necessary to create my own. So I focus most of my time right now on mastering all major and minor chords. Once I trully master these, I will go to a teacher and try to pick up some tech., and style.
With theory study I try to memorize all chords possible in each scale, and if you know the major-then you know the natural minor.
My practice goes like such for the piano and guitar;

1-Maybe start with some scales
2-Chords, Chords, Chords!!! (Bulk of the practice)
3-Playing all chords in a scale; back and forth.

I may dinker around a little after that, but for the most part, I treat music like work. Mon- Friday I am on the job with fundamentals. The weekend-I just let go by playing, recording or writing or whatever.

At least an hour on guitar and bass a day each! Also tinker on the piano when I can find the time. I'm in the habit of writing at least one song a day at the minute also, even if it's rubbish, I finish it and move on to the next. ;-)

I rehearse twice a week with my band also.

Practice makes perfect!

My band plays once a week but I work on guitars and get a chance to play guitars every day as I set them up and tweak them. It is a fun job!.
VP:)

Are you being a trolling Hijacker here? This is not the place for pictures of my busy shop.
VP

You brought up the subject of a busy workshop.:confused:

I just thought it would be cool to share some pictures so we can all see how cool it would be to be a guitar tech.:o

Besides it's hardly hijacking when the thread is 7 years old. Now where are those pics?

Back