How much?

Thyst

Im thinking about building a studio for my enjoyment and to make a little money from small like high school bands that want to record there first demo or something. Anyway I dont know how much I should spend, I definetly dont want to spend over like $6500. I dont know if this is to much for like a first timer and Im jumping in to quickly but I have been reading up alot on how the recording process goes, all the tips on this board and stuff. Fixing up my basement and stuff wouldent really be included in the 6500 thats all for equitment, but how much would it cost to fix it up a little bit like put up walls and make it some what sound proof.

you dont have to spend alot you do need a good sound card and a mixer preamp sure 58 mikes shure 57 mics. you can make demos for bands with good quality arround 1200 bucks.

throw in a good large diaphram condencer and drum mike kit for 800 more

do up a vocal corner for vocals

mike your amps pinting into a full closet with cushons along the bottom from a couch

isolate the drums by using 4 mike stands and carpet remants and some clamps. then mike them up.

by the way the m audio audiophile is great for a sound card if you dont reqire alot of inputs

darla has four and both of these are affordable and of the best quality for the price.

If you want to use your PC, you could use a TDIF card in your PC, and a Tascam TMD-1000 mixer (under 500 bucks), and a good quality mic such as a Rode or Shure 57/58 mikes, and learn a good miking technique. There is info on good techniques all over the internet and of course, here, in these forums. A TDIF card for your PC is about 300 bucks, recording software (Cakewalk/Cubase) is about the same, and the Tascam TMD-1000 is about 500 bucks. You've invested 1500 bucks and now have 8-track digital recording with your PC.

Soundproofing could be taken extremely seriously, resulting in major cash, or you could use rooms that aren't concrete, and line them with moving blankets or old salvation army blankets in several layers.

Miking amps can be done by facing the amp away from your ears (as the recording engineer), put a large stove-sized box over the amp, stuffing the box with blankets and pillows, with the mic inside. its not ideal sound isolation, but it does work and by experimenting with the mic and distance from the amp you can get different sounds and quality of sounds.

Another option is to buy a used 8-track recorder/mixer in some configuration. Tascam made the 688 which is a fantastic unit if you can get one in good shape. Analog does sound warm!

Back