How much would building this desk cost?

Vamecx

I'm looking towards upgrading my current desk. I found this desk online that I love: BUILD PLANS for the HOMESTUDIOGUY "$50" RECORDING STUDIO DESK | eBay
The guy is selling the blueprints for it which are $7, and it seems reasonable.

As far as the amount of wood, does anyone know how much it looks like it would cost by the picture?

I've also never built a desk before or worked with wood in general, but to save money, do you guys think it would be worth it to do myself, or for the sake of quality, should I just to hire someone? How much would that cost?

Thanks ahead!

1X53I.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like it's entirely made of 2x6 boards and plywood (or maybe fiber board or something). 12' 2x6 boards are about 6-7 bucks each at Lowes. Assuming 8' wide surfaces with 6' wide base, looks like you'd need maybe 4 or 5 12' boards and one 8' x 4' sheet of plywood and only a handful of cuts necessary (which you can even ask them to do for you at Lowes...maybe not the angled cuts, I'm not sure). You're looking at around 45-100 dollars depending on thickness and material you want for the surfaces and how fancy you want to get with the hardware holding it together. lol@blueprints for that desk. I'll draw you one here

Code:
  8'
-----|
 ---  |  4'
  6'   |

That'll be $3.50 :p Half-off! Seriously though - just sketch it out on a piece of paper and do the math. It's a simple design. Good luck :)

That looks like it's entirely made of 2x6 boards and plywood (or maybe fiber board or something). 12' 2x6 boards are about 6-7 bucks each at Lowes. Assuming 8' wide surfaces with 6' wide base, looks like you'd need maybe 4 or 5 12' boards and one 8' x 4' sheet of plywood and only a handful of cuts necessary (which you can even ask them to do for you at Lowes...maybe not the angled cuts, I'm not sure). You're looking at around 45-100 dollars depending on thickness and material you want for the surfaces and how fancy you want to get with the hardware holding it together. lol@blueprints for that desk. I'll draw you one here

Code:
  8'
-----|
 ---  |  4'
  6'   |

That'll be $3.50 :p Half-off! Seriously though - just sketch it out on a piece of paper and do the math. It's a simple design. Good luck :)
Oh wow, thanks for the info! $100 isn't too bad at all, I'm hoping I can get just that much for my old desk. But yeah, I'm pretty good at drawing, so a sketch might be better. Especially since I can tweak it a bit as I want shelves and other things.

I don't get this standard setup. The riser shelf is supposed to allow for some outboard rack gear to go under it across 2-3 columns. But what if someone has a mixing console or a control surface? They would be in the way of your outboard gear. It's just my personal opinion, but to me it make more sense to design a desk that has cutouts to the right and left of the engineer, but angled towards them. Not down like where your drawers and tower would go, but right up on the desktop surface. Even the ones that put your rack gear completely flat, knobs facing up. Again, just my opinion. Then you can install draws to the left and right of your legs and use them as mic drawers, as opposed to mic closets which still accumulate a good amount of dust inside.

Although, if you don't use any outboard, I guess there's no point in worrying! :)

Back