How much to set up a reel to reel recording rig?

powpowmeow

in a perfect world i would record my guitars and vocals to reel-to-reel and then edit digitally.
whats a reasonable amount of money i can spend to accomplish this? im not even sure which gear i would need. would i need a console? i am only going to be recording in stereo, so i guess just a preamp would do the job. then the recorder, then the tape itself.

If you're not going to be doing any overdubbing or punching--i.e., you're just going to be recording one stereo take and then dumping that to a CPU--then yes, all you'd need would be a preamp and the recorder (and tape, and cables, obviously).

A half-track (2-track) would do the job, plus you'd be able to use it for mixdown if you wanted.

You could probably snag something like a Tascam 22 or 32 for around $400 in pretty good condition. But that's never a sure thing with gear of that age.

Those machines use 1/4" tape, which goes for about $25 a reel new. I think you get around 20 minutes per reel if memory serves me.

You may need a take-up reel as well, which will probably be $30 or so.

However, that's the bare minimum, and other things are dependent on what kind of machine you wind up with. If you really want to do things "by the book," you'd want to get a calibration tape to make sure that your machine is up to spec. Those usually run a couple hundred dollars.

Then you'd need a HandyMag demagnetizer, which is around $70 I think.

99% alcohol for cleaning the tape path is pretty cheap (under $10 for a bottle that'll last a long time).

There are other things as well that you may or may not need, but that's hard to say until you wind up with the machine.

All in all, I'd say you should expect to pay anywhere from $500 (on the lower end) to $700 or $800 on the higher end. That's not including the preamp.

Preferring analog is kind of like what you hear about being gay: It's a hard life that no one would choose if they saw any other way. :)
It's expensive, and it's rare that you won't have to perform some type of repair or, at the very least, a good deal of maintenance. But it sure is fun when everything's working, and it sounds great, of course!

Hope this helps

Yeah, I was going to suggest the 22-2 as well. A lot is going to depend on your workflow - you could, for instance, put the machine into record mode and play/sing through it, taking the output straight into the DAW. You'd have a delay of 1/15 seconds so you'd probably not want to monitor off the deck, but it could be done - tracking would be a lot like what you're presumably doing already.

Alternatively, you could dump a guide track onto the tape, record several tracks in a more traditional fashion and then dump them all back into the DAW. That may introduce slight timing problems which you'd have to correct for, and you would then probably need a 4-track machine (there is a TASCAM 22-4 as well, I believe...) so that you'd have 1 track for the guide and the other three can have guitar and vocals on them. You would also need a 4-channel interface on the DAW.

yeah, this is great stuff guys, exactly what i was looking for. if i can do it under 1000, im gonna do it for sure.

You can monitor off of the deck. You just need to push the monitor input button. plus you can do sound on sound recording with the 22-2.

You can monitor off of the deck. You just need to push the monitor input button. plus you can do sound on sound recording with the 22-2.

I thought of that, but wouldn't it cause the line out to come off the input as well? That would bypass the tape entirely.
If he uses the deck as an effects stage (which isn't what it's designed for but is easiest to do, especially since he's doing the song digitally anyway) he would want to be able to listen to the input, e.g. through headphones, but he'd want the DAW to be recording the delayed signal off the repro head.
It might be easier to tap the headphones from the preamp if it has a headphones output as well.

I thought of that, but wouldn't it cause the line out to come off the input as well? That would bypass the tape entirely.
If he uses the deck as an effects stage (which isn't what it's designed for but is easiest to do, especially since he's doing the song digitally anyway) he would want to be able to listen to the input, e.g. through headphones, but he'd want the DAW to be recording the delayed signal off the repro head.
It might be easier to tap the headphones from the preamp if it has a headphones output as well.

There will always be a delay because when he is singing/playing guitar in the room that will still be delayed with everything else.

My recommendation is to get a Tascam 22, 32, 42 or a Fostex E2 - if you are patient, really good ones come up for about $300. It's not really worth buying/getting into it unless you can check that the tape machine works perfectly before you buy it. Plus, if you have a fully working machine and you end up not liking the workflow or sound, you can always sell it and easily get your money back.

If you already have a digital interface and preamp, all you really need is an cable, a demag and 99% alcohol which is about a total of $100 (as with the machine, you can always sell it and get most/all your money back if you realise analog is not for you).

You are recording through the deck (so storing the tracks on a HD not tape) so you only need one tape (RMGI LPR35) and an empty reel, that would be about $30-$40 for that and you are ready to rock.

Total cost is about $400-$500 and all easily resell-able if you decide to scrap the idea. No reason not to try I think!

love it guys...

so no worries about wearing out the tape by recording over and over on it?

You will eventually, but you'll be able to get hours and hours of use before you need to try new tape. I'd say just use it until you start to notice a difference.

love it guys...

so no worries about wearing out the tape by recording over and over on it?

The transports on those machines I listed are pretty gentle on the tape. I did that exact process with a Tascam 32 and probably recorded over the tape about 30 - 40 times on a 22min tape and there were no issues. That's a good 10+ hours of recording from a $30 tape and I could have kept going.

My recommendation is a good indication of the workflow and sound of tape but I doubt anyone would have that as their 'permanent' workflow as it is much quicker and simpler to record everything on a multitrack tape machine (all analog) or just straight to a DAW (all digital). But like I said, it's still a good taste of what analog recording is capable of.

I could go into a lot of options, but I concur that the Tascam 22-2 is hard to beat for what you're trying to do. Everything I do on that little machine sounds better to my ears on playback than the original signal going in. You can get extremely clean, almost sterile with analog tape, depending on what you purchase and how you use it. The 22-2 has some character without a person needing to know a lot about how to coax it out of a more transparent machine. Yet it is fully professional sounding for many uses. It was inexpensive when it came out for lacking features. It doesn't even have a return-to-zero stop, but no big deal IMO. The sound is great!

Just couple of thoughts..
A pre amp? I don't quite see how that works in conjunction with a computer?

OP has to get mics into tape, out to PC, eff about a bit with recordings listening the while? I think he needs a mixer.

I would suggest the A&H ZED10 but that would knock quite a hole in a $1000. One of the Soundcraft Notepads?

And what is the PC interface?
Dave.

I can play back the track on PC, record my guitar or vocal into tape at the same time, through a couple mics and a preamp. Unless I can't connect a couple 1/4"s or XLRs to the 22-2, I should be fine, I think...

PC Internface is a Lynx L22

I can play back the track on PC, record my guitar or vocal into tape at the same time, through a couple mics and a preamp. Unless I can't connect a couple 1/4"s or XLRs to the 22-2, I should be fine, I think...
PC Internface is a Lynx L22

I don't know about the 22-2, but on the 32 it does have a pair of 1/4" mic inputs on the front. The 22 is probably the same. Bear in mind that it's not going to provide phantom power so you will need some kind of preamp stage first if you're using a condenser mic. I've never tried plugging a guitar into it direct either.

The I/O on the back is RCA/phono stuff at line level.

Back