How much time????

mikeh

How much time do you spend writing vs. recording?

I spend about 15-20 hours per week recording my own material. Some weeks I spend more time in the studio either recording other people or as a session drummer - in those weeks I may be in a studio (mine or someone else's) as much as 30 hours per week.

I also try to spend about 10 hours a week working on my chops (I play several instruments - so this time is spread out over various things, mostly guitar and piano). While, some of this practise time leads to song ideas - I find I don't have as much time to "really" write as I would like (actually the writing is not what takes all the time, it's the re-writing). I may spend 1-2 hours per week actually writing/re-writing

I manage to write about 5-10 songs per year (I write more than that, but after I filter out the pure crap it gets narrowed down). I normally do a quick, basic recording (maybe 2-3 hours, just to document the melody, chord progressions, general arrangement, etc) and then decide if the song has enough commercial potential to commit more time to record properly and bring in a singer (to be submitted to a publisher). To get a final product good enough for my publisher often takes 10-15 hours of tracking/mixing (trying to decide on a good arrangement takes a lot of that time....recording different guitar parts, etc). I'm not gifted with the ability to hear the whole arrangement as I write (or rather the arrangement I hear rarely works well - so I have to spend a lot of time recording different parts, etc.)

I put in a lot of time on my music, but it seems my finished body of work does not reflect the effort. I've cut waaaay back on gigging because when I gigged alot I didn't have enough musical energy to commit to writing/recording. If only the wife didn't expect me to hold down a day job:(

So.....what's your story????

I guess I spend about 4 hours a week on average writing lyrics. I don't write much in the summer months.

I almost always write lyrics first, then music.

I've averaged about 6 songs a year for the past 3-4 years.

I probably practice 4 hours a week on guitar and vocals, which is not really enough but keeps me from completely losing my skills...

I recently got a keyboard and I will occasionally play with that. It has been the source of a couple of tunes because it is a different instrument and it does inspire me with it's new sounds.

As far as playing music, I'll say I try and practice/write for about an hour a day. Sometimes I can get more in and sometimes I can barely get anything in. On days that I jam with my friends I will get up to 4 hours doing it. As far as recording and mixing ... I do that every day for at least an hour if I can. I like to sit back and fumble around on my software.

I probably spend more time writing than recording. Thus far, recording is just a way of documenting the song for me.

Finding time to record is always tricky - especially time when the house will be quiet enough!

I mess around with music for maybe an hour or two a day. That includes practice.

I generally start with a musical idea, then get a (brief) lyric that matches and build the song from there. I can work on lyrics on trains, in cars, doing chores.. anywhere really. I prefer to have some kind of music in mind though, because it helps get the prosody and rhythm right.

I probably write a song a month on average. I haven't recorded them all - maybe 80%. I REALLY need to work more on recording, but I'm getting there slowly. Recording is done as simply as possible. I have too much to learn to make any fancy arrangements.

How much time do you spend writing vs. recording?

I spend about 15-20 hours per week recording my own material. Some weeks I spend more time in the studio either recording other people or as a session drummer - in those weeks I may be in a studio (mine or someone else's) as much as 30 hours per week.

I also try to spend about 10 hours a week working on my chops (I play several instruments - so this time is spread out over various things, mostly guitar and piano). While, some of this practise time leads to song ideas - I find I don't have as much time to "really" write as I would like (actually the writing is not what takes all the time, it's the re-writing). I may spend 1-2 hours per week actually writing/re-writing

I manage to write about 5-10 songs per year (I write more than that, but after I filter out the pure crap it gets narrowed down). I normally do a quick, basic recording (maybe 2-3 hours, just to document the melody, chord progressions, general arrangement, etc) and then decide if the song has enough commercial potential to commit more time to record properly and bring in a singer (to be submitted to a publisher). To get a final product good enough for my publisher often takes 10-15 hours of tracking/mixing (trying to decide on a good arrangement takes a lot of that time....recording different guitar parts, etc). I'm not gifted with the ability to hear the whole arrangement as I write (or rather the arrangement I hear rarely works well - so I have to spend a lot of time recording different parts, etc.)

I put in a lot of time on my music, but it seems my finished body of work does not reflect the effort. I've cut waaaay back on gigging because when I gigged alot I didn't have enough musical energy to commit to writing/recording. If only the wife didn't expect me to hold down a day job:(

So.....what's your story????

60% Writing, 15% recording, 15% laughing. 10% answering these questions.

The way I see it, I spent a couple of years writing my humble tunes up north, before I had anything to record with. I have 50+ tunes written that I want to record. I would love to binge record. But currently I am living with my parents again down south before heading on 11th October for a 2 year work contract in Hong Kong...where again the idea of recording just won't happen on the kind of level I want it to. When I get back I'll spend a lot of time recording etc etc

Same here. I started with a backlog, and still haven't worked through it. And of course, in the meantime my styles and inspirations have changed, and I'm still coming up with tunes, so it seems that I'll either a)always have recording to do or b)be a bit more discriminating in what I develop.

Back