How much space do I need for a music web site?

jant

I am starting to plan to put together my first music web site. I want to make my mp3 files available and have streaming. I was wondering how much space I will need to make this work. The host of your site charges you by how many MB of space you need and wanted to know how much I will need to work with music. I would like to know how much space you guys are using. I am in the dark on this subject so I would appreciate any feedback. thanks James

Jant,
It really depends on how muchg you want to do. For a good basic web page with about 10 songs and some pictures I would say go with 50 Megs. If you want to have hi quality mp3's alot of Flash Animation and all the bells and wistles I would go about 150 megs. I would say start with 50 and if and when you need more bump up your subscription more as needed.

jontflesh

Careful - most hosts charge for traffic, too. With my host, for instance, the cheapest account allows for 50MB of storage and 100MB per day of traffic. I could fit around 16 songs in that space (at about 3MB each), but if each song is downloaded by an average of more than two people a day then I'm going to go over my traffic limit and have to pay extra.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone out there have any recommendations for a host? Are there any that cater to music sites and do all charge you for trafiking?

Having a website with downloadable MP3s is not hard and considering the pages themselves will take around 2-3meg and each MP3 around 3meg you can do your own calculations.

But streaming is another story. To stream you must have either an ISP server with streaming facilities or you own streaming server programme on your site.

Check out RealPlayers home site and there is a demo you can view regarding streaming your own music.

Cheers
John

Back