how much should i charge?

james_face

nueman mic 2 grand forgot model number
pro tools software
proo tools m box
mac g5
Im just going to use it for recording rappers and singers I know its not set up for bands

using closet to record vocals how muvh should i charge singers and rappers the nueman is a quality mic and pro tools is good software ang i know how to work it

I think several billion Zimbabwean dollars per hour is reasonable...

You are in Zimbabwe, aren't you? :eek:

Oh, I smell an "English as a second language" joke coming up.

James: They want to know what you mean by "How much should I charge?"
Are you recording someone? Renting out.... Your space? Your gear? Your expertise?

pro tools software
proo tools m box
mac g5
Im just going to use it for recording rappers and singers I know its not set up for bands

using closet to record vocals how muvh should i charge singers and rappers the nueman is a quality mic and pro tools is good software ang i know how to work it
Probably a (used) U87 or perhaps a (new) TLM193...? (can't imagine how anyone could forget the model number, but this has been one of those days). Terrible mics for aggressive vocals. And the M-Box isn't exactly a wonderful preamp for the same...

I'd return the mic, you can easily pick up a SM7b *and* a True P-Solo for under $1k, and spend the rest on getting out of the closet (closets make notoriously horrific 'vocal booths' - unless you're in the movies). $1k will buy a decent amount of broadband trapping (and who can't use more of that...).

I'm hoping your monitoring chain is in better shape than everything else...

Oh, I smell an "English as a second language" joke coming up.

No, it was more the impossibility of making a recommendation without know where the OP actually is on the globe...

And what's with all this recording vocals in closets stuff... gotta be better ways than that in an enclosed space..

Don't know.
I'm seeing a lot of threads about people using closets and such for vocal booths.
Personally, I'm into figure eights with just a touch of room noise/air.

pro tools software
proo tools m box
mac g5

I'll say it.

You shouldn't be charging anyone anything right now. You don't have any credentials (if you do you should post them somewhere, like on a web site, blog or at LEAST in your signature), you don't have the right kind of equipment to compete with an actual recording studio, and based on your gear (apparently your mic isn't really great for what you want to use it for) and recording space I would be willing to wager that you don't have enough experience to compete either. You would be overcharging at any price.

Spend time learning by using contacts, friends, neighbors, classmates, whatever to practice getting better at recording, mixing, and save money to buy gear (intelligently) that will work well with that you're trying to accomplish.

using closet to record vocals how muvh should i charge

As long as you think singing in a closet with a mic who's model number you can't remember is a good idea, you shouldn't be charging anything. Do you know ANYTHING about recording, mixing, mastering??? Do you even know the difference between the 3??? Do you have ANY experience recording, mixing, mastering??? Is this a joke????:eek:

gizzmo and rami are the only two who came close..

it doesn't matter which neumann you have or what closet you use.

if i go to a studio, i'm not asking what desk they use or what bass traps they have,,

i'm asking for a cd of the last mugs who paid to record here......

then i'll decide how much i'm prepared to pay.

like almost any industry or trade...it's about proving yourself.

It would be difficult for me to forget the model number of a mic I dropped 2K on.

This is true M1F, if I only had one microphone with a 2K price tag on it I would even know the serial number by heart. And also spell the manufacturers name correctly as well.

For me, I have a hard time trying to remember all the model names/numbers of all of my microphones due to sheer total number. It can get confusing.:o

:cool:

When you're drowning in 40s, it's hard to remember wifey's name, much less the name of some mic into which you spit :drunk:

On second thought, don't let anybody in your studio. Just think about what happened to Jam Master Jay. Or Eazy-E. Think about it . . .

I'm not trying to be cruel by any means either.

I can just tell that you're woefully under prepared to actually charge anyone anything for your work.

You've got to consider it from the side of whoever it is you'll be recording. Why would they pay any money to sing in your closet?? It's almost insulting to them to even suggest it. And while an Mbox is awesome for the home recording hobbyist, it's pretty naive to think that anyone would walk into your bedroom, look at your closet, look at the MBox and be impressed and inspired. And if they actually recognized the microphone for what it was...they'd probably just wonder why the hell you spent so much.

I would suggest that you start out by offering your services for free. Expecting no payment. If they WANT to pay you. Then take their payment but morals would suggest you only accept payment if they're satisfied with your work. Use the jobs you do get (regardless of payment) to put in time practicing and building a "portfolio" of sorts. Then later on when a potential client wants to work with you, you can show them what you've done in the past.

And I'll caveat this whole thing by saying how absolutely ridiculously difficult it would be to start this way and make a significant amount of money.

Because of the nature of what you're trying to do (at least what I suspect you're trying to do) I would propose that it would be completely immoral of you to take a single cent from anyone unless they had heard what you've done with their recording and were 100% satisfied.

So true Gizzmo... and if one had all the bells and whistles for recording then to house them in a little 10x10 room with a closet vocal booth YOU HAVE LOST YOUR WOW FACTOR.
Granted some great recordings are done in the same size room but you had better be able to produce sterling results or rethink your recording space.

:cool:

I lasted 36 seconds before I switched it off, James.
No offense meant but it doesn't blend together and the vocals were less than perfect..
Not yet but keep working at it.
Good of you to come back though.
This thread hasn't exactly been inviting.

Back