How much of a difference does a higher quality preamp make?

Yeah, it was a combination of being busy, reading it all on my phone and not being able to do a mass reply effectively, and possibly different time zones ^^;

I do think that some of the "whiners" have a point, though. I may have not been scared off, but I know that some other newbies might really be turned off by all of this.

Rock on "dude". Am I the only person who picked up that you are a female?

You always say that and you always end up being wrong. Nobody's chasing anyone away, get over yourself. This is an internet forum and we were talking to each other. The OP got offended for no reason way earlier in the thread. If I want the opinion of someone who actually matters, I'll ask a moderator. :rolleyes:

Full of yourself, again, I see. "Always say that" - I think I've said this exactly twice now, and both times since your 'forced vacation' from this forum. Maybe YOU should stop visiting the Newbies section.

---------------------------------------

Last edited:
-------------------------------------

Last edited:
--------------------------------------

Last edited:
Me and Dave are getting along fine.Where's the bitterness? Oh I see, it's in all your posts. You never have anything to say unless you're crying about something. That's been shown over and over again and others have commented on it over and over again. Stop projecting. :laughings:

This

I started a thread about a week ago asking about making videos. I simply lost interest in the thread by page 2, so I stopped even visiting it.

That's too bad because I gave you the best answer possible and you didn't...<sniff> even.... <sniff> see it. :(

It's still in the Newbs section, but I'll move it over to the Video section.

As a (sort of) newbie who has years of experience figuring things out on his own mostly, then checks to see others ways to do whatever... I would like to point out the reason any newbie's might be "scared away"...for most of you, what they are going through is stuff you do without a thought... you have figured this out years ago and have it down as a science per se... problem is, you deliver most of your information either as a college professor with way too much info for them to absorb or understand, or as someone rubbing their nose in it because you can't understand why they don't get it, so you reply with snarky remarks and quips that really do no good and make them feel dumb. Now this is a generalization... obviously nothing applies to everyone, but try to remember that at one time, this was you... talking to someone who took the time to point the "newbie" in the right direction and had the patience to be helpful and not speak techno-babble to a 6 y/o... they won't get it. I'm sorry if some of you think I'm a jerk or, who is this moron to say thing like that... but I know these people really are stuck or they wouldn't be looking for help, and sometimes we don't realise what we are putting off as an impression as type doesn't carry inflection and can be easily read wrong... my intent was to help & inform, not to put anyone down... Ok, I'm ready for the verbal berating and name calling... BigBob

To the OP....The specifics of which gear I'll let everyone else chime in on. My best advice on the "vocal chain" is this is consistently one area many "under" budget for...

Never "settle" in the vocal chain.....Get yourself the best Pre & Microphone you can possibly afford....It is the best place to go over budget, and you will always be happy you did.....

i would tend to agree with Mr. Obrien there... keep the presonus. I personally connect to my computer with a presonus firestudio light pipe and it has worked grat getting my source in and my listening for mixdowns...but you cant go wrong when youhave something you can add later channels to. my ad conversion albeit is done thru an Alesis HD24hard disc recorder but i only use it for AD conversion into the light pipe. my preamps are from a Mackie 24x8x2 console.. farely old school but it does have a warmth to it and i get great sound wih the setup using SONAR 8.5 Producer... By the way..CAD makes some pretty darn good mics for recording in all price ranges. But Presonus is good stuff keep it. check out Cherokee rose at kevhenderson.com also sending a pic of my setup ( mic you see just happens to be a CAD )STUDIO5.JPG

Last edited:
A lot. As a matter of pact, the preamp is the whole secret to great sound. But of course you first have to have something great to record. Pre-amps run from $20 up to several thousand per channel. There is a good reason for that.
Rod Norman
Engineer

A lot. As a matter of pact, the preamp is the whole secret to great sound. But of course you first have to have something great to record. Pre-amps run from $20 up to several thousand per channel. There is a good reason for that.
Rod Norman
Engineer

Only if the source of what is recorded is worth a shit. That also includes the correct choice of mic and the room it is recorded in. I would hardly call the preamp 'the secret' unless it had quality going into it. Every variable in the signal chain determines how well the next will perform. A preamp won't fix a crappy sound.

That is a matter of pact, not an opinion. :)

- that was a funny^^ lol

I have to develop a magic " make everything sound freaking awesome regardless of what you put into it" plug in. We could all be the next Justin GaGA.

Rod Norman
Engineer

And the $1000 pre amp probably contains not much more than $20 worth of active components.

Dave.

Back