how much mid range is added in mastering

doulos24

how much mid range is done in mastering? I've heard a lot of music and about all of it including some done in quality project recording studios sound thin in a car stereo but fine in quality headphones and studio monitors, but if i switch to the fm radio there is alot more mid range going on filling small boom boxes and car stereos even simple guitar vocal mixes fill out the spectrum what gives?

I hear just about every radio station having it's own variation of tone shape, not to mention the added layer of smash/and or multi band.
Right off, I have to take what I hear broadcast with a big grain of salt, surely not as anything unified or as a standard for reference?

how much mid range is added in mastering
I'd say usually little or none. But the short story is that nothing like that is established until the track is being played and listened to during the session.

If your mixes are lacking a solid, focused midrange, waiting for the mastering session is the last place you should be looking to correct it.

If the core sounds are lacking solid, focused midrange, I'd start there.

I've heard a lot of music and about all of it including some done in quality project recording studios sound thin in a car stereo but fine in quality headphones and studio monitors, but if i switch to the fm radio there is alot more mid range going on filling small boom boxes and car stereos even simple guitar vocal mixes fill out the spectrum what gives?
One major factor is that there is often a large difference in the playback quality of the CD or tape section of your typical factory-quality car stereo and that of the tuner section. Much of what you're hearing as a difference between the media player and the tuner in your car can easily be attributable to the car stereo itself. It's much easier these days to make a decent-sounding tuner for pennies than it is a mechanical device like a CD player or tape deck.

Second, but probably not as big of a factor in what you're describing/hearing, is that radio stations usually add an extra layer of limiting compression before pumping their signal out.

G.

When I listen to rock radio today (which isn't often) all I hear is guitar and vocal. The back beat is gone. That's probably the mids your talking about.

I remember turning up the fm and hearing Van Halen or whoever and hearing the crack of the snare and feeling the kick drum.

Not anymore... Seriously, it's all guitar... Where did the drums go?

Cause and effect...

Last edited:
Back