How much is "too much" when spending money on recording equipment?

stevefromboston

After playing guitar for over 6 years, I am looking into creating a small home recording studio/setup. I know the basics I need (audio interface, MIDI, DAW, and some cables). The total cost of what I have listed would be around $800. I'm used to spending plenty of money, and often too much money, on guitars, amps, pedals, etc. However, home recording is completely new to me. Should I be intimidated by the price tag or should I just be glad that I am spending less than $1000?

Edit:
Some people have asked what my purchases are. Here is the list.

$400: MIDI Keyboard: Akai MPK249
$200: Audio Interface: Scarlett 2i4
$200: DAW: Logic Pro X
$<100: cables and miscellaneous

I guess it comes out to a bit above $800. But that's the list. I already have plenty of guitar and amp equipment, spent too much money on that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
I've been in a studio that had equipment that cost more than my mom's apartment and car put together.

The only question is how much can you spend before having to live off of food stamps.

The price tag will never ever help mask or boost your level of skill in mixing.

What Steen said... ^^^

Depending upon how you add it up, I'm probably in for about $20K by now, over the years, excluding instruments...

Welcome to your new hobby / financial black hole... :eek::D

After playing guitar for over 6 years, I am looking into creating a small home recording studio/setup. I know the basics I need (audio interface, MIDI, DAW, and some cables). The total cost of what I have listed would be around $800. I'm used to spending plenty of money, and often too much money, on guitars, amps, pedals, etc. However, home recording is completely new to me. Should I be intimidated by the price tag or should I just be glad that I am spending less than $1000?

Do you have specific brands/models in mind?
If I could make a few suggestions - Try to buy an interface with more than enough mic pres.
It's better to buy once than to need an upgrade a few months down the line.

Try to put a good bit of research into monitors and room treatment too, if those are on your list.
If you skimp on those areas you'll be fighting it forever. :)

Hope that's useful.

I paid about $900 for a soundcard back in 2005 that I am still using.

I'd say that was a pretty good value.

Yeah, recording is a rabbit hole.

Been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio 4 I think. Have sunk way more than $399 into upgrades.

Still using my mackie 1402 that I bought in 99 too.

How much is "too much" when spending money on recording equipment?

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

If I sat down and added up how much I've spent....it would probably make me cry. :(
That said...I've bought a lot of actual recording hardware over the years, unlike now days when it's mostly about software. Heck, speaking of software, I probably spent about 2k just on plug-ins in the last couple of years.

But then...it's more than just "recording equipment" to me. I mean, it's a lifetime hobby...no different than someone spending thousands and thousands on classic cars or what have you. It's what I do....I have no other life.

I went "all in" about 25 years ago, and I still haven't stopped buying stuff for my studio.
I could probably by a small house for what I've spent on the studio over the years. :facepalm: :)
I have no regrets....well, maybe the Akai S1000HD sampler I paid about $6k for back in 92 with it's WHOPPING 8MB of RAM and a 40MB HD. They were hot stuff...and then 5 years later they weren't even worth $600.

Yeah...like you don't spend a lot of time here and in your studio. :D ;)

I ran around in my '20s & '30s...never an evening home, always with a few people looking to do something and go somewhere..."Hey, wadda you wanna do tonight?" "Mmmm...uh....I dunno, wadda you wanna do?"
...then I moved to another state, away from that whole crowd of people, and I got more into a personal space thing.

Now days I really enjoy my own time, at home, doing my own thing, and I'm glad I have a studio to get lost in.
To tell the truth, I think I got more life now than when I was running around with the crowd.... :)

I'll use an analogy from vintage car circles. The rule for buying a restoration project is to buy the best example you can possibly afford. The resto will cost you less in the end and you'll have a better car.

In recording it would follow the same path of thinking, buy the best gear you can afford. With the talent and know how, you'll produce better music.

There is resale value to consider as well, cheap gear on the used market can be had for pennies on the dollar. If it's not for you and you get out, you won't lose your shirt with good gear.

On a humorous note, one day I was hanging out with a buddy in my studio bitching about how I didn't have a Porsche......He looked around, and said. "dude! you got a Porsche right here" Later I crunched the numbers.....Yup, I had the equivalent of a Porsche 911 in that room. It can add up quick!:D

I have no idea what I have spent. Too many buy this trade for that deals along the way. Its a good bit of money though.
I guess I dont care really. Its a hobby and fun to boot. If I have some extra money and that coincides with me needing (wanting) something for the studio I do it.

If I was just starting out today, I certainly would only spend a fraction of what I've spent over the years, but then, it's been a 30 year evolution, and I'm still so very tied to the analog side, plus the digital...so the gear expense compounds.

I like recording gear. I like amps. I like guitars....etc...etc....it's not just about having enough to do some recording.
Heck, you can do that with a mic or two, an interface and a computer/DAW setup. Like ido1957 said....$800...and you've got something basic to record with.

Me....I've moved into "collector" territory! :laughings:

Gawd, I hate when these threads come up.

I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...

Gawd, I hate when these threads come up.

I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...
I don't want to know...

I agree
I agree
I agree
I...

Wait, what is that new plugin?

Sold.

:)