Votes: 2 9.5%
  • serious hobby would like to make $$

• trying to be a pro and make it big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • already made my expenses and more

• Total voters
I got a buddy who recently got into rollerskating. Turns out there's a whole thriving community of these people.
And you can spend megabucks on rollerskates and associated gear. Talking like 800 bucks for decent skates. :D
Long way from when I was a kid and you had those metal adjustable skates that went over your shoes. :D

Oh btw, the video I referenced earlier about mini amps......
Doctor Guitar episode 14 the mighty power of micro amps

Sorry can't post links. But its a pretty cool video.

How about we flip the narrative. YOU prove cheap gear is just as good. :D

If you can prove that, you could possibly singlehandedly put out of business all the high end gear manufacturers. Yippee Yay!
We all win and get to spend less money.
:D :D :D :D

more illogical nonsense

you are the one who needs to prove that spending more actually buys gear that is better

the veblen effect will keep fools like you spending way too much on their toys so they can feel superior by denigrating those who are smart enough to buy what they need and not a bunch of marketing hooey

I got a buddy who recently got into rollerskating. Turns out there's a whole thriving community of these people.
And you can spend megabucks on rollerskates and associated gear. Talking like 800 bucks for decent skates. :D
Long way from when I was a kid and you had those metal adjustable skates that went over your shoes. :D

When I was a kid we use to take the wheels off roller skates and screw them to a piece of wood to make a skateboard. In fact, that's why they call them "skate" "boards." That was the early 60's before Dylan went electric, and long before Tony Hawk became an icon and a rich man. I only mention his wealth since I believe this thread has to do with money. :D

more illogical nonsense

you are the one who needs to prove that spending more actually buys gear that is better

the veblen effect will keep fools like you spending way too much on their toys so they can feel superior by denigrating those who are smart enough to buy what they need and not a bunch of marketing hooey

Hahaha! :) I don't have to prove anything, and I don't have anything to prove.
Most of my recording gear is of the lower end, some real good stuff, but not much. But I have worked with good stuff and can say this.. What a joy.

And I feel superior to no one. Cause I know I'm not. As a matter of fact, I like to surround myself with those superior to me. That way I learn and get better. (in all areas of life) There are some real knowledgeable people here, and although less, I'm grateful for their 'superior' experience and wisdom.

And as to mktg hooey, you really think the pros, the guys who work with this stuff day in and day out, would spend hard earned cash and lots of it, because they 'fell for marketing hype'? I don't think so.

And you sir.........well, I've come to the conclusuon that you just want to aurgue. I don't think you even do any music, recording, play instruments etc. And if you do, it's miniscule. Just another internet loudmouth trying to impress.

Plenty have put forth reasonable discussion and you stick to your bias of they are all wrong snd you're the only right one in the room.
Many have conceded that there is plenty of cheap usefull gear as well, and there's nothing the matter with it.
But no, you just keep aurguing and aurguing.

So in the final analysis, you're right. Your cheap gear is better, now just go away and leave the rest of the 'fools' alone.

Hmmmm. Interesting thread. Have to say I agree with some of Dr Avg's points on diminishing returns on more expensive gear. However, I disagree entirely with the idea that more expensive gear just sounds different and no better. Even my primitive ears can tell the difference when I replace so-so gear with quality stuff.

I used to love my Vox AVT50 guitar amp. Digital modelling to sound like a Marshall, Fender..etc 2x12 speakers and change from $250. I'm also lucky enough to have a 1980 Hiwatt DR103 and a 2x12 cab with Fane speakers. Fun as the vox was, the Hiwatt is in another league when it comes to presence, touch sensitivity - you name it. Is it worth 8x the vox? Not to most people, but, I sold the vox not the Hiwatt - so I guess it was worth it to me.

I get it. Eddie Van Halen would sound better through the Vox than I would through the Hiwatt. So what? The Hiwatt's still a better amp. To suggest otherwise is just flat-earth mentality.

Last edited:
When I was a kid we use to take the wheels off roller skates and screw them to a piece of wood to make a skateboard. In fact, that's why they call them "skate" "boards." That was the early 60's before Dylan went electric, and long before Tony Hawk became an icon and a rich man. I only mention his wealth since I believe this thread has to do with money. :D

Hahaha. Used to make what would now be considered a Razor scooter out of them too.
That, and later on, go carts out of lawnmower parts.
:D

That, and later on, go carts out of lawnmower parts.
:D

Been their, done that, too. In '65 my brother and I built a go-cart using an old wooden ladder as a frame. A couple of wheels and an old Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine and, viola, a go-cart! Now kids have ATV's. :D

Been their, done that, too. In '65 my brother and I built a go-cart using an old wooden ladder as a frame. A couple of wheels and an old Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine and, viola, a go-cart! Now kids have ATV's. :D

We never figured out how to put brakes on the things though. Lol :D

Hahaha! :) I don't have to prove anything, and I don't have anything to prove.
Most of my recording gear is of the lower end, some real good stuff, but not much. But I have worked with good stuff and can say this.. What a joy.

And I feel superior to no one. Cause I know I'm not. As a matter of fact, I like to surround myself with those superior to me. That way I learn and get better. (in all areas of life) There are some real knowledgeable people here, and although less, I'm grateful for their 'superior' experience and wisdom.

And as to mktg hooey, you really think the pros, the guys who work with this stuff day in and day out, would spend hard earned cash and lots of it, because they 'fell for marketing hype'? I don't think so.

And you sir.........well, I've come to the conclusuon that you just want to aurgue. I don't think you even do any music, recording, play instruments etc. And if you do, it's miniscule. Just another internet loudmouth trying to impress.

Plenty have put forth reasonable discussion and you stick to your bias of they are all wrong snd you're the only right one in the room.
Many have conceded that there is plenty of cheap usefull gear as well, and there's nothing the matter with it.
But no, you just keep aurguing and aurguing.

So in the final analysis, you're right. Your cheap gear is better, now just go away and leave the rest of the 'fools' alone.

True.

But you proved my point wrt my replies to Miroslav who is adamant that more money means better sound.

Hmmmm. Interesting thread. Have to say I agree with some of Dr Avg's points on diminishing returns on more expensive gear. However, I disagree entirely with the idea that more expensive gear just sounds different and no better. Even my primitive ears can tell the difference when I replace so-so gear with quality stuff.

I used to love my Vox AVT50 guitar amp. Digital modelling to sound like a Marshall, Fender..etc 2x12 speakers and change from $250. I'm also lucky enough to have a 1980 Hiwatt DR103 and a 2x12 cab with Fane speakers. Fun as the vox was, the Hiwatt is in another league when it comes to presence, touch sensitivity - you name it. Is it worth 8x the vox? Not to most people, but, I sold the vox not the Hiwatt - so I guess it was worth it to me.

I get it. Eddie Van Halen would sound better through the Vox than I would through the Hiwatt. So what? The Hiwatt's still a better amp. To suggest otherwise is just flat-earth mentality.

Others here are adamant that more money means better sound.

It is your right to prefer the sound of something more expensive, but how do you prove it is better and not just your preference.
And a preference that is often biased by knowing the cost of the gear.

Do tell us how you prove the hiwatt is better.

I just noticed that the topic title also includes how much have you made, and nobody has answered that one. We seem happy to moan about what we spend, but rarely no we every say - yep, I bought that and made shed loads of dosh.

But you proved my point wrt my replies to Miroslav who is adamant that more money means better sound.

[EDIT]

Never mind...it's a waste of time with you. Your ignorance is not my problem.
Feel good about your gear and I will feel good about mine.

Last edited:
" Miroslav who is adamant that more money means better sound. " And he is perfectly correct in that statement.

Especially in the area of transducers and especially monitors there is a steady climb in quality in terms of power bandwidth, lower distortion, especially lower colouration and better imaging as the cost goes up. Many professionals will say that you canot get anything like proper monitors under around $1000 each and they would be small, nearfields and really only useful for location work, mainly voice.

Electronics has come on in huge strides in the ten years I have been infesting forums but especially converters at the highest end are now virtually beyond reproach. Could YOU Mr A tell the difference between my KA6 and a Prism or Benchmark? I doubt it but many can becuase they KNOW what to listen for AND have the monitors and rooms to tell them.

For sure, Prism would be a a waste of money for my or my son's limited purposes but I do not kid myself that such gear is well worth the money to those that need it and know how to use it.

Dave.

...Prism would be a a waste of money for my or my son's limited purposes but I do not kid myself that such gear is well worth the money to those that need it and know how to use it.

Exactly...the whole "it's a waste of money" perspective is relative to each situation.

I absolutely agree that some young kid who wants to do podcasts need NOT worry about high-end gear...or even the occasional hobbyist who is just recording songs purely for their own documentation purposes...some guy who can barely play guitar and has a squeaky voice, but still likes to write songs and record the guitar and his squeaky voice simply to hear the playback....and there are other situations, all with different levels of valid "it's a waste of money" perspectives.

Of course, there is the flip side...the "it's worth the money"...and that too is relative to each situation, to the individual goals, and most of all, individual budgets.
If you're looking at the big-buck gear, but have no budget, it doesn't diminish that value of that gear just because you can't afford it...and that's pretty much the stupid argument being presented in this thread, "I can't afford it, so therefore it's a waste of money."...which has nothing to do with the quality value of the gear.

Anyway...it's become quite comical, and nothing here will change anyone's mind. The people who understand and appreciate and can afford to upgrade their gear...they will. Those that simply don't care to or need to upgrade...they won't.
The rest will just live in denial...and that's their problem and their frustration.

I just noticed that the topic title also includes how much have you made, and nobody has answered that one. We seem happy to moan about what we spend, but rarely no we every say - yep, I bought that and made shed loads of dosh.

How many people really have a handle on "how much"? For most of us, its one piece of gear here, another one there... a year later this, a few months later that.... ANd maybe some dont' want their significant others to see, too!

[EDIT]

Never mind...it's a waste of time with you. Your ignorance is not my problem.
Feel good about your gear and I will feel good about mine.

Your arrogance does not make me ignorant.

Logic rules in this universe in spite of the veblen effect that confuses people.

" Miroslav who is adamant that more money means better sound. " And he is perfectly correct in that statement.

Especially in the area of transducers and especially monitors there is a steady climb in quality in terms of power bandwidth, lower distortion, especially lower colouration and better imaging as the cost goes up. Many professionals will say that you canot get anything like proper monitors under around $1000 each and they would be small, nearfields and really only useful for location work, mainly voice.

Electronics has come on in huge strides in the ten years I have been infesting forums but especially converters at the highest end are now virtually beyond reproach. Could YOU Mr A tell the difference between my KA6 and a Prism or Benchmark? I doubt it but many can becuase they KNOW what to listen for AND have the monitors and rooms to tell them.

For sure, Prism would be a a waste of money for my or my son's limited purposes but I do not kid myself that such gear is well worth the money to those that need it and know how to use it.

Dave.

At some point long ago the bandwidth became so wide and the distortion so low that you need special equipment to even measure it and certainly can not hear it unless you are one of those golden eared types who can hear the difference between blue wire and yellow wire.

How many people really have a handle on "how much"?

And...is it really all that important (well I guess it is to the one who started this thread)...?

For the most part, we do music and recording primarily out of passion and for the enjoyment and pleasure we get from it.
Few here are running full-blown commercial studios that have to keep an accounting of expenditures and profits.

The frustration some feel about the cost of quality gear has no direct connection to the value from having/using that gear...it only stems from their own financial situation...and that's really not something that should be used to measure gear quality.

And...is it really all that important (well I guess it is to the one who started this thread)...?

For the most part, we do music and recording primarily out of passion and for the enjoyment and pleasure we get from it.
Few here are running full-blown commercial studios that have to keep an accounting of expenditures and profits.

The frustration some feel about the cost of quality gear has no direct connection to the value from having/using that gear...it only stems from their own financial situation...and that's really not something that should be used to measure gear quality.

How do you measure gear quality?

How does quality compare with how it sounds ?

Back