How Much For a CD

I tend to work it out at a buck per song... and if it's independent cap it off at ten bucks....

So, in that case.. Your Cd should be $5.00

If you were to put out a 14 song cd in the future, it would be $10.00... Never price a independent cd over $10.00

Well, at least in MY opinion...

I'd work out some more songs, I think there's a lot more interest in a full CD rather than one with 5 songs on it. 10 bucks sounds fair to me for a full CD.

Dirk Demon

I'd say it depends. If you're making a real effort to estabish yourself somewhat for a possible means of supplemental income, I would give away as many as possible. If it's a little of the above, but mostly for fun, $5.

I totally agree with Vurt.
If you're trying to establish your name you should give the CD's away for free (or double-charge your friends, parents and grandparents). In that way you have a better chance that people actually hear what you've recorded. If you want to sell CD's after a gig you throw a couple of 'em in the crowd (looks cool too) and sell them afterwards for a couple of bucks.

Dirk Demon

It also depends on how they were made...did you pay a lot of money for studio time and to have them made, or did you record at home and "manufacture" the CDs yourself?

If (a), then $6.99, if (b) then $4.99 (no matter how many songs, because your profit is huge compared with artists who have a label). Because so many songs can be downloaded either free or for unlimited for $10 a month, the cheaper the better.

There's guy in my town with a contract from Universal. They put out his CD, nationally, I think. Songs on the radio. Some stuff on national TV, like Dawson's Creek etc., moved into a big house in a pretty nice neighborhood, etc. My point is, he's not exactly a star, but definitely bigger than your average homereccer. At one of his shows, I bought this CD, and one of his earlier CD's from a much smaller label, or publisher(excuse my ignorance, I'm not really sure what either term means) for $5 each. They each had at least 10 songs, all very professionally performed, mixed, mastered.

BTW, he wrote all the songs, except one cover, performed all the instruments, and recorded it all himself in his bedroom. As the story goes, some big wig at universal in charge of stuff didn't want anything changed. Aside from it being professionally mixed and mastered, they took it as he gave it to them. The ultimate home recordist.

Back