• 20-50 dollars

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 50-75 dollars

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 75 dollars or more

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters

ralf

just curious of what other bands making playing original tunes. my band makes about 0-20 dollars a gig. how about you?
-ralf

ralf, are you kidding?.....
Not if he's from LA. I was in a band from Louisiana, and we would routinely travel to LA to play at the Whisky, The Troubadour, etc.. and lots of times you have to pay to play. That is, your band has to buy a block of tickets, and then it is up to you to sell them. The fact that we drove 26 hours to play seemed crazy enough to the promoters that they didn't make us buy the tickets...who would we sell them to anyway?

Not an original band

When I was in the Soft Parade, I (just me) took home $500 per show. That was when we were still dividing the cash equally. The Singer soon decided that the guitarist and drummer weren't worth equal shares, and the week that I quit, I didn't deserve the same take as him either.
:mad:

Carl

i haven't been in a band for about two years now, but in the lifetime of the band we played about 30 gigs and got paid for three of them, $50 for two and $150 for another..... thats aussie dollars mind you, so halve it.....

There has been a trend developing in that some clubs will host bands who are selling their CDs. In that case, the club does not pay the band. The band is expected to make their cash from selling merchandise at the performance.

There was even an article on this in the Houston paper a few months back. It talked about one of the local groups and how they spent a lot of cash to record their CD and how they are selling it at their performances.

elevate is right on. The LA club scene is not the place to make money. Of course lots of bands will play anyway just for the exposure to A&R people who might be there. Been there, done that (back in the 80's).

I won't even load my gear now for less than $75 (my share) so you know I don't gig much anymore in So. CA. My band is too loud for most of the paying clubs anyway.;)

My old rock band used to pull in around $600/gig. I'd also sometimes sit in as a hired gun for other bands for only $50/gig. Now, a lot of my playing is for charity.

Hell. I just love playing.

My classic rock club band gets $300-500 for three one hour sets.We book ourselves directly with the club owners and play out about two weekends a month.
Tom

I play what I like to call "Living Room gigs". You know, someone is having a dinner or christmas or new-years party at their home, and usually has a grand piano, and wants someone to come in and play while their guests mull around.
$300-$500 for playing from 7:00 to 11:00 with 2 breaks.
No brandy glass on the piano for tips though. I consider that completely un-cooth and not very professional.
Nice work if you can get it -- hey! that might make a good song title!
But it's very seasonal.

Krakit,

seems your singer was quit an asshole. When performing in a cover band, every musician must get his own share.

When I play cover I can get 200$, but when playing own songs, nobody ain't fucking interested. I even played with my previous band some places for free...

cover band or original? it makes a difference in my city

It's interesting to hear what others are getting in different cities across the country. Around Boston a cover band gets between $350 and $1000, depending on the size of the venue and date (like a New Year's Eve gig). Only twice my 5-piece rock cover band earned over $1K.

To get paid less than say $300, you'd have to take only the door. Some bar owners will only give the band what they collect at the door, and you can't always trust the accounting.

What kind of arrangements do most of you make: flat rate, door money, or combination of the two? We've had it all ways, but the most common arrangement is a flat rate.

By the way, cover bands usually earn more in Boston. That's what the college kids and tourists want to hear.

In bars, $500-$600 for two nights 9:00 to 1:00.
Top pay was for jobs like New Years parties and such where we routinely got $2500 for four hours.

The closest I ever got to being compensated was last summer. Chicken on the grill, several coolers of beer scattered around the back yard, and us playing back in the garage. My neighbor finally came out around 11pm and offered us a Honey-Baked ham to stop.

Ahh yes...the money

We make anywhere from $50 to $300 per gig. We probably have averaged about $100 per show. I don't think we've ever played for more than two hours. We play almost exclusively originals and started performing about a year ago. We make a good portion of our money from selling cds. I think that is really the only way for groups that play original music to make good money...

though I wouldn't say we're making "good" money yet. We have been able to pay band expenses, eat out a lot, record a cd, and even pay ourselves occasionally all with money we've earned from playing. When we started we would play any show we could get, whether or not we would get paid. Now we try to be just a little more picky. But when you're a beginner it's a great way to get free meals. I don't think we've ever come out of a show with empty bellies.

Tucci

I want to make a living at it but I think that's a little ways away.

I think many of you missed a key word in ralf's original question. He asked about bands that play only original music.

Naturally cover bands will make more than original bands on a local circuit (unless the original band has a large following or has some national exposure).

I've been in 2 original bands (both were several years ago) and we rarely made more than $200 per night for the band - and didn't work often enough.

Now I've been in lots of cover bands that made from $300 - $2000 per night.

Currently, I'm in 2 bands (and sub for several others). Our 3 piece jazz/funk group makes $300 per night playing 25% originals and 75% covers (many obscure covers). We book our own gigs, but we played for a few years to establish a rotation of clubs, before we introduced original material.

The cover band I'm in (5 piece - classic rot) makes a minimum of $1500 per night, but the booking agent gets 15%. It has always seemed the more interesting the group is musically, the less they earn. Whereas the crap cover bands make more than the music deserves (Although it still take musical talent to learn other peoples material).

So, I play originals and interesting covers on Friday night for less money, but more enjoyment and on Saturday night I play the same classic rot songs I've played for 30 years and earn more than I should.

But, isn't that why we all have home studios, to create original music.- - since most people in clubs want to hear the same old crap???

"I think many of you missed a key word in ralf's original question. He asked about bands that play only original music."

Good point. Here in Miami, there is very little call for original music.
It's all Tiki bars and Dance DJ's. Sucks.
When we do play original music, it's usually at some folk club - lucky to get $75-$100.

Bob

mikeh said:
I think many of you missed a key word in ralf's original question. He asked about bands that play only original music.

Whups. Missed that. Can I retract my vote? While my band did play some originals, the majority was covers (>70%). That hardly qualifies as a band plalying original music. Original implies <30% covers.

Nice analysis mikeh, right on point.

Back