How much can one improve ?

PinkFloyd

Hiya

I'm about to start singing lessons as my voice is ,well, awfull.

My range is pathetic - about 1 1/2 octaves.

What I'm wondering is how much I should be expecting my range to increase, and how long before I should start to notice real improvements?

Thanks!

EXCELLENT QUESTIONS!

Ok, first of all, it is great to hear that you have decided to venture into lessons.
I have about 9 years of training behind me, it was a long hard road, but it paid off big time.

QUOTE: “What I'm wondering is how much I should be expecting my range to increase”

Everyone is different, I improved from 2 1/2 octaves to just over 3 1/2, others only gain a few notes.

QUOTE: “how long before I should start to notice real improvements?”

This is the hardest part of lessons, it took me, I think, four to five years before things really started to open up.

Patients! It will come.

If you have any other questions:

http://recordingproject.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=22

Good Luck.

“how long before I should start to notice real improvements?”

I was just reading a book ( i wont mention any names) but he commented that within a few weeks you will notice improvements using his methods. he even said if you only READ the book and dont do any of the exercises you will notice a marked difference!!

I think thats bollocks to a degree.

Ive just started singing lessons too and your really have to start back from nailing the basics and then building up to get your voice where you want it to be - that usually takes time.

I never in my life took any lessons, I just practiced singing to a song I liked, until I got it, and went from there.

I listened to a variety of artists, Ginuwine, TQ, Blackstreet, etc, all who have diff voices and styles, and tried to copy them all.

Thats all well and good allornothing, but the idea of lessons is to learn correct technique so you can sing for long periods without hurting your vocal cords. Sure you may be able to copy someone well but to get your cords to make the sounds of someone else may be damaging.

Once you have mastered your own technique and you know how your voice works then you can throw bits of other peoples style in for effect (according to my teacher).

cheers

y

Ok, I'll give you that, but I've been doing this since about 1997-98, and Ive never had any problems from it.

I DID however take music when I was in school, from about 3rd grade, till my senior year,so that helped alot Im sure.

Hey Guys

Just thought I'd let you know I've had a couple of lessons now and I'm already starting to notice a difference.

Nothing major - just little things like more confidence, better pronunciation etc.

I really wanted to work on range but apparently that will come with time - guess I'll have to be patient !

Which brings me to another question :

How many octaves does an "average" singer , er, sing ?

My teacher said 2 is decent enough, I though nearer 3 ?

What are your thoughts?

Most untrained beginning singers have a PRACTICAL range of between an octave and a few notes, to an octave and a fifth.

25+ years ago, for example, when I took a college singing course my practical range was about an octave and a half.

About 9 years later when studying with a (great) vocal teacher, it expanded to around an octave and seven notes when singing on my own. With the instructor supervising me directly, it was two octaves and one note. We determined it was more than adequate
in range, tone quality, size, to pursue the option of an operatic career. (choose not to)

Nowadays it's about two octaves and two notes if I'm in good voice, warmed up, etc., although the lowest note is greatly enhanced by using a microphone vs. a capella.

For men, it's rare to have someone who can sing much beyond this. Women easily can go 2 1/2+ octaves plus, especially sopranos.

The most important factors usually are tone quality, and singing the proper type of material for a given vocal classification-
tenor, baritone, bass, alto, soprano, etc.

Just keep singing without any straining!

Chris

P.S. The singing ranges above do NOT count falsetto BTW.

One more thing...

You do a lot more speaking than singing.
The speaking voice is the foundation of singing.

So make sure as best you can that it's being produced as well as possible, and drink lots of water (12+ glasses every day).

Chris

Thanks man!

That's really cheered me up - I heard some nonsense about a guy who can sing every note on the guitar and that kinda bummed me out.

I'm hoping to get up to two octaves, but I'm just gonna keep practising until I'm comfortable with my voice.

P.S What's falsetto ?

Thanks !

Sure thing Pink.

The primary lead vocals in groups like The Bee Gees, FrankI Valli & The Four
Seasons, etc. were falsetto.

BTW, not sure by the username if you're male or female.
(like you woundn't know from "Chris" alone)
Not as easy as a concept for the gals typically BTW, as this
pertains to guys.
The air travels in a different fashion to the cords than "true" singing,
hence the name false-tto.

Two excellent books for you to get;

"Sing Like The Stars", by Roger Love (includes exercise CD),
and "Caruso's Method of Vocal Production", by P. Mario
Mafioti. The last one will run you only about $10 new.

Chris

"Sing Like The Stars", by Roger Love (includes exercise CD),

I got this book and read it on the recommendation of someone here a while ago.

Was pretty good, and spoke about some interesting things.

However there was a little too much name-dropping and advertising for my liking......

eg.. "back when i went on tour with blah blah blah" or "when blah blah rang me up to tell me he needed help with his blah blah..."

you get the point.

Some good stuff in there though.

y

Back