How many tracks at 24/96??

db51

I'm gonna upgrade my PC by the end of the summer and I was thinking of something along the lines of a 1.4 Tbird with a nForce chipset motherboard...:)

Anyway in the meantime I'm wondering if anybody here tracks at 24/96? My PIII 500Mhz with 256 Mb RAM can't play back more than 15 tracks at 24/48 in Nuendo with EQ on all channels and reverb and compression (realtime) on half of them, so I haven't dared trying to record at 24/96....

But I would think the 1Ghz+ T-birds should be able to handle 15 tracks with EQ, reverb and compression on each track in realtime...Anybody tried??? how many tracks did you get???

Last edited:
I tracked 16 at 96 with few plugin's. It worked, but it was way to much of a toll. Crashing, dropouts.. I ended up converting it all back to 44.1. To hard to mix when it's trashing out every 4 or 5 seconds.

I don't know what you could expect on the T-Bird. Keep in mind that your disk transfer is every bit as critical a spec as your CPU. Particularily for 96K file sizes. I'd guess... guess.. that you could maybe pull off 16 tracks assuming you have fast drives and a optimized OS. It almost worked on my PIII 800 so, a 1.4GHz, with again, good fast drives... might work. I really didn't hear much of difference at 96K. At least on my system anyway, any benefits of 96K are lost when it's impossible to mix. Constantly fighthing with your hardware etc. I'm sure it will be way easy 14 months from now.

you could maybe pull off 16 tracks assuming you have fast drives

I've got an IBM 60 GXP, which is one of the fastest IDE drives on the market today.

All the latest 7200rpm drives have fast sustained transfer rates, and I'm assuming those with a 1Ghz+ PC don't use old 5400rpm hdd's...That would be a waste. I don't think the hdd is the bottleneck is this case, although files recorded at 24/96 are huge!! Then again I could be wrong :). Maybe a RAID setup is the way to go???...

I'd really like to hear from those on a 1Ghz+ PC if mixing at 24/96 works on their machine. If a 1Ghz+ pc can't handle 15-20 tracks at 24/96 with a few realtime plugins I might wait another 6 months before I upgrade...

Thanks

It's not just Emeric who thinks that way, and he knows LOADS about computers and computer recording. Sjoko also says that mixing at 96 KHz is unwieldy right now, but that it's coming in the near future - he reckons 48 KHz is the place to be for the time being.

PC

Hi all,

Well I'm using the PIII, 1ghz at 24/48 on RAID. The thing is, every part of your PC has to be fast enough to achieve mass tracks, like more RAM, faster CPU, RAID ext.

My PC is 1ghz, 1.5 meg and two Western Digital 60gig hard drives, 7200rpm at 8.4 ms seek time as to most 9.4's. :It's A moster:

SO to make this short I am able to do 24/48 on my motu2408,
and my baby DA-7 whith EQ, EFX, REVERV and COMPRESSION
on every track. Dat is 32 track's

Since you fellas mentioned 24/96 i'll give it a try in my studio and see if it can handel 24/96! at 24 track's.

-ACSM Recording Inc.

p.s. you have to spend $ to make lots of $$$.

Last edited:
Back