How many preamp channels do I need?

skim

For those of you who track full bands (more than a couple of channels at a time, anyways) how many preamp channels do you have?

I ask this question because I'm looking into upgrading my interface, from a ProTools MBox to ProTools digi001. The thing is, digi001 has two preamp channels, and the remaining 6 inputs are line level inputs. This means if I want to track anything that requires more than 2 mics I need to front it with preamp channels - one for each independent track I want to bring in.

Any suggestions for good cheap preamps (an oxymoron, I know)?

I have a Mackie 1202 which has 4 preamps with channel inserts. So that buys me 4 more, I guess.

I would imagine that it would depend upon the size of the band, the size of the drum kit, and whether or not you want to try to track them all at once.

The main thing would be to be able to track a complete drum kit at once... cause everything else could be done later.

If you are working with a drummer with a huge kit... you will need a lot of channels, not to mention the pres to go with them.

Of course, you can always use fewer mics to track a larger kit... but something will suffer.

The most basic setups involve two overheads, one on the kick - and one on the snare.

In the meantime, I would use the Mackie for the extra pres.:D

Yeah my objective isn't so much to replace the studios that I track at; I'd just like to be able to track live rehearsals for demo purposes, if that makes sense.

So I guess my original question was just to get some perspective on what's going on out there in other people's studios, possible something I can aspire to.

Just educating myself.

Thanks for replying.

skim said:
Yeah my objective isn't so much to replace the studios that I track at; I'd just like to be able to track live rehearsals for demo purposes, if that makes sense.

So I guess my original question was just to get some perspective on what's going on out there in other people's studios, possible something I can aspire to.

Just educating myself.

Thanks for replying.

I've been down the route of recording a band to 8-channels and it's minimalist but workable. Don't expect to get studio results until you have decent HW and have addressed the acoustics of the recording space and how you will achieve channel isolation.

The *key* ingredient that relates to a reasonable product of the labor to set up and record is the sound in any room where you plan to use microphones. That is, the sound of the room itself and how it interacts with the instruments you bring to the party.

You have to examine the reason you are recording these live rehearsals. Is it to get a good product "accidentally", that marvelous take that won't happen again? Is it to analyze individual tracks to see who's dropping the ball? The answer to these questions will guide you on how you would proceed with the recording process.

You have to examine the reason you are recording these live rehearsals. Is it to get a good product "accidentally", that marvelous take that won't happen again? Is it to analyze individual tracks to see who's dropping the ball? The answer to these questions will guide you on how you would proceed with the recording process.

That's really an important point. I was thinking the same thing as I was typing my last post (why am I doing this?...)

I'll never get studio quality recordings with my digi001, and as far as demos go, I'm perfectly happy with my 2-channel MBox. It's sufficient for what I need.

This may not have been the question I was asking, but it's the answer that found me :)

Thanks, you just saved me a grand.

skim said:
This may not have been the question I was asking, but it's the answer that found me :)

DAMN!

Do I get a T-Shirt? (jk)

This being a hobbyist site I see the fun of the process often occluding the reason for the process taking place. Getting that straight becomes more important when it's your band or you have clients involved.

Leave it to the good Dr to fix what ails you...

BTW, Doc... why not put up that 5000th post and get it over with...

:D

skim said:

Not quite a grand...

The good Dr does not accept insurance...

Cash only!

Well, maybe a couple of fatties... but NO insurance!

Back