How many of you use pitch correction for your own vocals?

Do you use pitch correction on your own vocals?

• I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I only use it when absolutely necessary (time constraints, etc.).

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I use it when needed. It's just a tool like EQ, compression, etc.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Yes Please! I'll take all I can!

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
sooooo....read through this whole thing out of boredom on my lunch-break. Have to say that by pure logic and reasoning, Miroslav wins hands down. His arguments were near flawless and no one who argued against him offered a rational argument to his defense. I won't retype specifically what he said, it's simply his underlying method of reasoning. The bias coming out of many people here was amazing. Nice job Miroslav. In the real world, your arguments would convince a rational jury.

sooooo....read through this whole thing out of boredom on my lunch-break. Have to say that by pure logic and reasoning, Miroslav wins hands down. His arguments were near flawless and no one who argued against him offered a rational argument to his defense. I won't retype specifically what he said, it's simply his underlying method of reasoning. The bias coming out of many people here was amazing. Nice job Miroslav. In the real world, your arguments would convince a rational jury.

Lol. Holy crap, he is gonna love you for that. :laughings:

It was an entertaining read, for sure. At least I know someone here is logical and doesn't subscribe to impractical ideas of what "rock" is.

I was just considering the whole "what's real" discussion, and what matters to listeners...but I never though of Rock as being practical or impractical....hmmmm.

I was just considering the whole "what's real" discussion, and what matters to listeners...but I never though of Rock as being practical or impractical....hmmmm.

it isn't in itself. the ideas of what it is are, however. If the idea is that it is raw and unadulterated, then even recording and mixing it is messing with its pureness. Playing it live would be the only way. Corrective EQ modifies the sound, compression modifies the players use of dynamics, etc..etc... reverb is fake, delays are fake. Why is correcting any pitch not acceptable then? most of the arguments against that pointed to extreme uses, not real world applications in the type of music we're talking about.

sh*t, i just dragged myself into this discussion.

it isn't in itself. the ideas of what it is are, however. If the idea is that it is raw and unadulterated, then even recording and mixing it is messing with its pureness. Playing it live would be the only way. Corrective EQ modifies the sound, compression modifies the players use of dynamics, etc..etc... reverb is fake, delays are fake. Why is correcting any pitch not acceptable then? most of the arguments against that pointed to extreme uses, not real world applications in the type of music we're talking about.

sh*t, i just dragged myself into this discussion.

It's cool; everyone has their own threshold of what they consider acceptable. I for one don't edit the timing or the pitch of my tracks, but I don't hold it against others if they choose to do so. It's just the way I choose to do it. True, compression alters the dynamics of something, but you do that anyway with the faders when it comes to mixing, so that doesn't seem the same to me.

It's just the way I view it. It's what makes sense to me. YMMV

It's cool; everyone has their own threshold of what they consider acceptable. I for one don't edit the timing or the pitch of my tracks...

aaaaaand it starts, damnit

is it a threshold? is there truly a bar that can't be passed? if so, that means things must be under and above it. what makes some things ok to modify and others not? what puts some techniques under that "threshold" and others above it? even if it is for you and not as some universally accepted claim. im not being some smarta*s here, i genuinely am curious to know how this threshold is imagined.

aaaaaand it starts, damnit

is it a threshold? is there truly a bar that can't be passed? if so, that means things must be under and above it. what makes some things ok to modify and others not? what puts some techniques under that "threshold" and others above it? even if it is for you and not as some universally accepted claim. im not being some smarta*s here, i genuinely am curious to know how this threshold is imagined.

How is any threshold determined? It's just personal.

For example, what size animal are you ok with killing and not feeling too bad about it (not including hunting for food or self defense)?

An ant?
A fly?
A dragon fly?
A lizard?
A mouse?
A snake?
A turtle?
A squirrel?
A cat?
A dog?

I think most thresholds that humans set are personal ones.

I've tried to explain my stance on this before. In my opinion, I don't like something that alters the timing or pitch of what I play. I choose to make exceptions for certain things that are designed to do this as an effect, such as adding vibrato (or Leslie, etc.) to a guitar (affects pitch obviously), or adding delay to a vocal (adds notes).

That's my broad threshold. If you want to zoom in closer, I may be able to define it further if you'd like. Eventually, it would probably reach a point of on a case-by-case basis.

How is any threshold determined? It's just personal.

For example, what size animal are you ok with killing and not feeling too bad about it (not including hunting for food or self defense)?

An ant?
A fly?
A dragon fly?
A lizard?
A mouse?
A snake?
A turtle?
A squirrel?
A cat?
A dog?

I think most thresholds that humans set are personal ones.

I've tried to explain my stance on this before. In my opinion, I don't like something that alters the timing or pitch of what I play. I choose to make exceptions for certain things that are designed to do this as an effect, such as adding vibrato (or Leslie, etc.) to a guitar (affects pitch obviously), or adding delay to a vocal (adds notes).

That's my broad threshold. If you want to zoom in closer, I may be able to define it further if you'd like. Eventually, it would probably reach a point of on a case-by-case basis.

An ant. Mosquitoes on the other hand... (oh, wait. That's self defense) yeah. An ant.

But really my point is... I have a very tight threshold. I will never use (knock on wood here, because as soon as I make an absolute vow, I usually end up breaking it.) I will never use auto tune. Ever.

Last edited:
There's a damn good chance I deserve it. If not for that post, certainly for another one somewhere. :D

I think the mods should set up a weekly auto-neg-rep for you...that should cover most of your weekly forum indiscretions. :p

Maybe if you collect enough and get ahead of yourself....you'll earn a free week where you can cause all kinds of trouble without punishment. ;)

Back