How Many Nice Guitars Have You Gotten Rid Of?

dwillis45

Número sesenta nueve
I was thinking today about how many really nice guitars I've gotten rid of over the years for one stupid reason or another. It's painful but my short list includes an early 1970s Martin D-18, a vintage National Steel resonator, a late 60s gold top Gibson Les Paul, and a Guild 12 string. I kick myself in the head regularly and try to remember not to sell guitars anymore. But, hey, what are you gonna do when life comes along and periodically throws divorce, disinterest, poverty, and stupidity in your general direction!

I don't want to think about it.

You'd think that after 40+ years of buying and selling guitars that I would not continue to do stupid things.....but no.

I'm pretty young, but i've gotten rid of some beauties. PRS Dragon Special edition. 1970s Gibson. Oi, I want that one back....

I sold a 1979 - 82 ? Les Paul Custom with a translucent Burgandy finish for $300 about 12 years ago. My business was in trouble and I needed cash fast. I almost cry when I think about it.

None :\ i still have all my originals...i would never think to ever get rid of any? id just save up for new ones.

ZoSo58LP said:
None :\ i still have all my originals...i would never think to ever get rid of any? id just save up for new ones.

Great advice! I should have listened to you a long time ago.

I haven't sold many but the ones I did makes me wanna puke. I had a 62 Gretch Country Gentlmen. Gone. I had a 70 Guild jumbo 12 string. ....sigh. Gone. I have to go now.

I sold my early 90's Gibson Explorer to buy a tobbacco burst Dean ML that was just a nice looking toneless peice of crap. The store that bought my guitar told me it was for their personal collection and turned it over for an extra $400 a month later. Damn!

You're probably going to laugh, but I really miss my old Hondo 2 (Les Paul body style). Probably built in the late 70s or early 80s. It had a dark wood finish and was cheap. But it played beautifully and had a great sound. I've been looking for one on ebay for a few years, but no luck. :(

A 68' SG, a 64' (I think) Country Gentleman and a 72' P Bass - oh yeah, and a 62" (I think) Teisco Del Ray.

At the time I needed something else more important (although I now can't imagine what that possibly could have been).

ZoSo58LP said:

Same here, and I am thinking of renting another additional house just to find some extra space for some of these necks :D

Eddie

I sold my 1960 Stratocaster for $175 in 1973.

I sold my '74 Les Paul for $1100 a few years back.

'74 ES 335 and '72 Precision bass - stolen about 10 years ago.

'66 Fender Jazz bass in Sherwood Green with matching headstock, sold for $100 in 1972. But it had a dorked truss rod.

It's all based on "What would they be worth today?" You just never can tell.

Not a one. I still have my Gibson B-25N that I bought in high school.

I have sold a couple of amps that I wish I hadn't, though - an early 60's blackface Showman and the small cab with two JBL D-150's, and a plexi 50 watt Marshall head. Not that I would have any real use for either of them now, but they would be worth a lot more now than what I got for them.

Only got one on the list so far, and hopefully it won't grow. I just sold my '03 Taylor 410-RCE Limited Edition. Nice Indian Rosewood back and sides, one of the deepest yet clearest tones I've ever heard on an acoustic. Was sorry to let that one go...

With 40 years of buying, selling and trading I have to admitt that I've parted with several, most I didn't mind but a couple come to mind which I should have kept... A 1955 Gibson Les Paul (Gawd I loved that guitar) and a 1962 Fender Telecaster are the ones I miss most. There have been Strats (4 of them) that I didn't mind, guess I'm not a big Strat fan, several nice Epis and a couple of Gretch and countless "no name" guitars that also came and went, some at a nice profit.

197? Gibson SG
197? Gibson ES 335
197? Gretch White Falcon
197? Fender Strat

Of all these, the one I miss the most is the SG. The White Falcon would be worth a small fortune. The Strat was American made but nothing special, and just didn't give me the tone I was looking for at the time.

The ES 335 was my working guitar for a few years, and had been poorly taken care of before I bought it. A disastrous re-fret job rendered it unplayable, so I ditched it.

It wasn't the nicest guitar in the world, but it was nice to me - 1st guitar I ever bought was an Alvarez acoustic that, by the time I sold it, had beautiful tone and playability. Sold it to buy my next acoustic, and I have regretted it ever since.

Back