How many mics?

SirPsychoSexy

Hello all, I'm looking for a little insight on what I should buy for my application.

I'm looking to set up a DAW station, but I'm stuck on 1 thing. Vocals, Guitars, Bass, that can all be done on 1 channel, layer on layer... But I am concerned about the drums.

I've got a 6pce set with a few cymbals, and I'm concerned on how to mic it. Can I get away with 4 channels (like my budget allows), or should I break the bank and go with 8?

I'd like to get a nice, crisp sound from the kit, but I fear it's just too big for 4 mics... Any suggestions from guys who know more about micing a drum kit than me?

Here's a pic of the kit, let me know what you think.

http://members.shaw.ca/infraction1/personal/new-kit.jpg

Yeah

Nice kit, Put a mic in the bass drum, snare drum, and use the other two for overheads. If the overheads are placed properly you can get a good sound, with balance between toms, and cymbals. Over heads are gonna be your big concern.

What A.M. said!

Analytical Man is right.
The fewer mics you can get away with the clearer the drum image will be, experiment with the overhead placements before adding more mics.

What style of music are you going to record?
Some styles by nature may force you to mic the toms rather than using overheads and let the cymbals bleed into the tom mics.
Some styles force micing everything in sight.

tmix

Thanks for the compliments on the kit, it was used by Dave Weckl a couple months back on a clinic. Apparently he really likes to use Oak Customs for clinics.

Anyway, my sound is kind of like a cross between Copeland and Portnoy. I like to tune my Toms moderately high, but I like my snare fat and my bass drum clicky.

I really like the overhead ideas, does anyone have an example of what this would sound like?

Good advice from all and that IS a nice kit. Personally, on a kit that size, I'd put up 7 mics;
One in the kick
One on the snare
One between the rack toms
One on the floor tom
A pair of overheads
One out in front of the kit about 4'
Depending on the kit and player of course, it usually sounds pretty fat with a lot of power in the toms. YMMV.

SirPsychoSexy said:
Hello all, I'm looking for a little insight on what I should buy for my application.

I'm looking to set up a DAW station, but I'm stuck on 1 thing. Vocals, Guitars, Bass, that can all be done on 1 channel, layer on layer... But I am concerned about the drums.

I've got a 6pce set with a few cymbals, and I'm concerned on how to mic it. Can I get away with 4 channels (like my budget allows), or should I break the bank and go with 8?

I'd like to get a nice, crisp sound from the kit, but I fear it's just too big for 4 mics... Any suggestions from guys who know more about micing a drum kit than me?

Here's a pic of the kit, let me know what you think.

http://members.shaw.ca/infraction1/personal/new-kit.jpg

nice kit man!! I have a yamaha beech custom and love 'em. I agree with what's been said regarding ability to get a great drum sound with 4 channels....

having said that - here's my counterpoint - I currently have a DAW with 4 track capability (Delta44) - I can get a good drum sound with 4 inputs...HOWEVER - 4 channels really limits you, particularly if you are going to do any 'live' recording (eg. drums + bass/guitar, etc.). With only 4 tracks in this situation you need to submix your drums down to 2 - which really limits your flexibility at the mix stage. If I had to do it over again I would have just put out the extra cash and bought an 8 channel interface. As a matter of fact, I'm currently gathering funds to do just that...

my problem is whether or not I should buy another delta44 and chain them together or start fresh with a Delta1010 (or perhaps a Presonus firestation...?)

Back