Votes: 11 8.1%

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 5 or more...

Votes: 59 43.4%
  • I don't own any

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
14 if ya count the 12 onboard pre's. :D

Actually the onboard in the Akai DPS24 are pretty damn good when you're going for clean uncolored.

A Tampa and a ProChannel with the tube swap are the other 2. Now my wife wants me to do stupid things with our money like payin bills and crap.
:rolleyes:

The nerve of her!

Thanks. Great secret.;):D

The thing about me is that somehow I just don't really trust used gears, especially when it's in the thousands of $$. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it but it's just the way I feel because I don't know what it's been through and where. I got to get over this feeling, man. Help me; convince me to think positive.:D I've seen great deals on gears before and I want it so bad but it's just not happening, the trust just ain't there.:mad: It would've saved me thousands if I buy used gears in the first place.:D I think I'm going to put up a poll about this.:D

Virtually all my gear and instruments have been bought used. Some exceptions of course - like digital gear - but mics, instruments and analog gear are mostly used. If you buy used, you need to know the value of your intended purchase, do your due diligence as to the Seller, and take certain precautions. For example, unless I know or am pretty familiar with the Seller, I virtually always pay with Paypal using a credit card. While I have only had a few problems with buys, in one case I did have Master Card reverse the charge on a guitar ($1200). Using a credit card allows you to do this, even when Paypal isn't helpful (I know, I know). I've had Paypal reverse payments as well, but as we all know, they are pretty unreliable in the help department. Ideally, you vet the Seller well enough not to have problems.

I've bought a fair amount of gear off the GS board from frequent posters. While it is not universally safe, I've never had a problem there. Most posters there provide enough information about themselves (web site, studio or business name, e-bay name, etc) to give you a pretty good idea of who they are (and where they live and where their children go to school).

I've bought a lot of stuff off e-bay and the usual e-bay vetting admonitions apply. Check the number, dates and kind of transactions. Ask questions. Call them up and talk to them. Use Paypal and a credit card.

Various audio shops on the web also sell used gear. Sometimes you have to search on their web page, but it's there. I bought my API pres for $600 each with tags from a dealer. Musicgoround can also be a source of decent buys. I've never had an issue with anything I bought from a dealer. Of course I call and ask about it before I buy and I use a credit card.

Sometimes, though, you just luck out. I was up late on Thanksgiving a couple years ago when A-Designs first started rolling out their 500 series pres. Peter, the owner, put up a deal on the GS board to get feedback on their new pres (answer a survey) and the participants got to buy one of their pres for @$550 (they list for $900 and street for $800). I got a Red. Later, after talking with Peter about his new pres, he sold me a P-1 for the same price. I've since traded the Red for the Purple Audio Biz (sounded too much like my APIs) and bought a second P-1, used, for @$550. One of those right time right place moments.

Instruments are another story since it is always best to play them before buying. Again, you need to know something about condition and value (and details to make sure things are "correct" if you are buying a vintage instrument). I've bought a guitar out of the newspaper (1983 LP Standard for $300 - played it first), off the GS Board (70s ES335td - but from a frequent poster who I called and chatted with) and mostly through vintage and used instrument dealers I trusted. The only guitar I've bought through e-bay was the charge back I described above.

So, buying gear used is certainly doable. The trick is to minimize your risk and accept that you can't do it entirely risk free.

Virtually all my gear and instruments have been bought used. Some exceptions of course - like digital gear - but mics, instruments and analog gear are mostly used. If you buy used, you need to know the value of your intended purchase, do your due diligence as to the Seller, and take certain precautions. For example, unless I know or am pretty familiar with the Seller, I virtually always pay with Paypal using a credit card. While I have only had a few problems with buys, in one case I did have Master Card reverse the charge on a guitar ($1200). Using a credit card allows you to do this, even when Paypal isn't helpful (I know, I know). I've had Paypal reverse payments as well, but as we all know, they are pretty unreliable in the help department. Ideally, you vet the Seller well enough not to have problems.

I've bought a fair amount of gear off the GS board from frequent posters. While it is not universally safe, I've never had a problem there. Most posters there provide enough information about themselves (web site, studio or business name, e-bay name, etc) to give you a pretty good idea of who they are (and where they live and where their children go to school).

I've bought a lot of stuff off e-bay and the usual e-bay vetting admonitions apply. Check the number, dates and kind of transactions. Ask questions. Call them up and talk to them. Use Paypal and a credit card.

Various audio shops on the web also sell used gear. Sometimes you have to search on their web page, but it's there. I bought my API pres for $600 each with tags from a dealer. Musicgoround can also be a source of decent buys. I've never had an issue with anything I bought from a dealer. Of course I call and ask about it before I buy and I use a credit card.

Sometimes, though, you just luck out. I was up late on Thanksgiving a couple years ago when A-Designs first started rolling out their 500 series pres. Peter, the owner, put up a deal on the GS board to get feedback on their new pres (answer a survey) and the participants got to buy one of their pres for @$550 (they list for $900 and street for $800). I got a Red. Later, after talking with Peter about his new pres, he sold me a P-1 for the same price. I've since traded the Red for the Purple Audio Biz (sounded too much like my APIs) and bought a second P-1, used, for @$550. One of those right time right place moments.

Instruments are another story since it is always best to play them before buying. Again, you need to know something about condition and value (and details to make sure things are "correct" if you are buying a vintage instrument). I've bought a guitar out of the newspaper (1983 LP Standard for $300 - played it first), off the GS Board (70s ES335td - but from a frequent poster who I called and chatted with) and mostly through vintage and used instrument dealers I trusted. The only guitar I've bought through e-bay was the charge back I described above.

So, buying gear used is certainly doable. The trick is to minimize your risk and accept that you can't do it entirely risk free.

Wow, great experiences have you. Thanks for letting me know these tips and tricks. I'll be sure to use them in the future if I ever wanted to buy used gears. I sure have lots to learn from you.:D

Hi
Got Drawmer 1960 (2 tube with compression) and I love these on most stuff. tried and tested on almost everything. Love what the compression does to thicken up the sound.
6 in chilton cm-2 console (10 ch in all only 4 are stereo line and 6 are mic/eq) these are awesome. EQ rocks too. really good for tracking sections where you want the same sound on all channels.
6 in trident fleximix console these are a bit funkier and a bit more coloured but great too.
Couplea focusrite platinum things which I don't ever use anymore. Too brittle.
Thats about all I need really! I am always on the lookout for odd broadcast gear cos it comes up dead cheap and is of extremely high quality!
long

All the ones I use are home made:

DSC02998.jpg

(From the top)

2 channel Gyraf G9 (valve)
4 channel JLM baby animal (2 with Lundhal (clean) trannies and 2 with OEP (more coloured)).
2 channel "green pre" (modern, IC opamp based)

I use the G9 most.

I also have a couple on my interface (E-MU 1820M) but I never use them.

(From the top)

4 channel JLM baby animal (2 with Lundhal (clean) trannies and 2 with OEP (more coloured)).

I use the G9 most.

Very nice... You said home made, but I'm assuming that YOU home made them? Congrats. I love to make things (though I've never done this) and I think it would be cool to record through gear I made...

Very nice... You said home made, but I'm assuming that YOU home made them? Congrats. I love to make things (though I've never done this) and I think it would be cool to record through gear I made...
Yes,as in my home and by me. :D

The G9 and green are publicly available designs and it's pretty easy to get hold of PCBs and the JLMs are full kits so none of them take a great deal of skill or knowledge to build.

Good quality stuff though and good fun.

Very cool. The JLM products look quite well designed and thought through. I've been meaning to pick one up to try. Just got to find the time.

Very cool. The JLM products look quite well designed and thought through. I've been meaning to pick one up to try. Just got to find the time.
Yeah they were a breeze, especially compared to projects where you have to source your own parts and work stuff out for yourself.

They even sell the metal work which is by far the biggest PITA with DIY stuff. Well it is for me anyway.

I certainly agree on the metal work. I'm looking at reracking a 1272 that I have and a couple of German EQ and compresser cartridges and it is tricky finding decent casings and faceplates - much less having to then drill them out appropriately. Gear looks so much better when it is packaged up tidy:D

Last edited:
Here's the preamps. (channels in parens)

ART MPA Gold (2)
M-Audio Octane (DMP3 pre guts) (8)
Symetrix 202--Thanks Pohaku (4)
Rane VP12 (MS1b in a channel strip) (1)
Various mixer pres (34)

Hi WhiteStrat.

How do you find the Rane VP12 compared to the ART MPA Gold, Octane, Symetrix 202? Also what mixer pres do you use and how do you find the Rane compares to these?

I currently have an M-Audio Tampa and DMP3 but am about to alter my setup and am interested in these pres.
I mainly record vocals and occasionally guitar or bass but I use VSTi's for 90% of the stuff I do.

I certainly agree on the metal work. I'm loking at reracking a 1272 that I have and a couple of German EQ and compresser cartridges and it is tricky finding decent casings and faceplates - much less having to then drill them out appropriately. Gear looks so much better when it is packaged up tidy:D
Square holes for IEC power connectors are so much fun! :D

My front panels are either made by Schaeffer in Germany or they're just drilled holes (covered up with knobs) and no engraving (like the JLM).

All of the back panels look pretty awful though. :D

Lamont drives the '88. It's got a 10 or 12" lift kit with 40" mudder tires--perfect for a 17 year old! Mine's a little more "normal"--perfect for hauling gear...

Whitestrat really meant to say, "Mine's a little more "normal"--perfect for hauling other people's used gear...." :D

My pre's are:

Langevin DVC - 2 channels
ADK AP-1 - 2 channels
Yamaha PM-1000 - 4 channels
Digimax 96k - 8 channels

Next looking to get either a Hamptone or Great River

Hi WhiteStrat.

How do you find the Rane VP12 compared to the ART MPA Gold, Octane, Symetrix 202? Also what mixer pres do you use and how do you find the Rane compares to these?

I currently have an M-Audio Tampa and DMP3 but am about to alter my setup and am interested in these pres.
I mainly record vocals and occasionally guitar or bass but I use VSTi's for 90% of the stuff I do.

Calling WhiteStrat. Are you out there?

(From the top)
I use the G9 most.

Deschwazi may have just ruined the economy of this entire board. If WS starts making his own gear, who will buy our old stuff? Someone had better step up to the plate and fix this before this site craters!!! DOES ANYONE HAVE THE NUMBER FOR CONGRESS? :D:D:D

Back