6. Gating
7. Expansion
8. Equalisation (yes it is :p)
9. Pitch shifting
10. Flanging
11. Phasing

hiphopsupamix said:
how many main effects are there?

When you say "main", do you mean the most frequently used effects? I would consider all effects equally important, given that their used in the proper situations. And they can easily be abused as well.

I've always considered reverb, delay, chorus and distortion to be the "main effects" (phase and flanging, etc are realy variations of the above).

I then consider EQ, compression, gating, pitch adjustment, etc to be processing (vs. effects)

RhythmRmixd said:
When you say "main", do you mean the most frequently used effects? I would consider all effects equally important, given that their used in the proper situations. And they can easily be abused as well.

yeah, most commonly used. I figure I'll learn the most popular/main ones first and then learn the rest of them later

thanks for the input guys. I can't find many books on Effects but I found a basic one by Paul White on Amazon so I might get that :)

mikeh said:
I've always considered reverb, delay, chorus and distortion to be the "main effects" (phase and flanging, etc are realy variations of the above).

I then consider EQ, compression, gating, pitch adjustment, etc to be processing (vs. effects)

I would agree with this.

mikeh said:

so does that mean that applying reverb would not be processing??? What about an Effects Processor??? I think that this statement is absurd. Compression is often used as an effect. Any thing that you do to a dry signal EFFECTS it....this would make it an effect....

Jeremy

I always thought of processing as the act of applying the "effect" to the audio. To process something is to treat it in some way, hence treating the audio with the "effect".

thajeremy said:
so does that mean that applying reverb would not be processing??? What about an Effects Processor??? I think that this statement is absurd. Compression is often used as an effect. Any thing that you do to a dry signal EFFECTS it....this would make it an effect....

Jeremy

Actually it AFFECTS it :) (lets hear it for the grammar nazis)

While possibly a matter of semantics, I've always understood that things like reverb, delay, etc add something that was not there as an effect to the signal - whereas compression, eq, etc. processes the signal while not actually adding something that was not there.

If the end result achieves whatever one wants, then what it is called is not of significant importance. While I did not feel my original statment was "absurb", I certainly can agree that any adjustment to a signal affects it, regardless of the term effect or process.

mikeh said:
While possibly a matter of semantics, I've always understood that things like reverb, delay, etc add something that was not there as an effect to the signal - whereas compression, eq, etc. processes the signal while not actually adding something that was not there.

If the end result achieves whatever one wants, then what it is called is not of significant importance. While I did not feel my original statment was "absurb", I certainly can agree that any adjustment to a signal affects it, regardless of the term effect or process.
Ill buy that.....:)

would someone please do me a huge favour and define these main effects in one or two simple sentences?

this would be really helpful to me understanding them as I can generally only find detailed stuf fon them like this on reverb; http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Reverb/

I mean I kinda know what they do, liek I know if I add reverb to a sound it will give it a bit of an echo, but I dont have good definitions in my head about them

"reverb, delay, chorus and distortion" are the main ones.

thanks guys!!

hiphopsupamix said:
"reverb, delay, chorus and distortion" are the main ones.

Reverb adds space to a sound, by giving it similar characteristics to how it would sound in an "acoustic space", such as a cathedral, or a large room, etc.

Delay repeats a sound, by a number of millisec, or by a note division, depending on what you are trying to accomplish with it. It can "carry away" as well by decreasing the volume on each subsequent repeat.

Chorus gives a unique sound by taking the original sound and stacking the same sound on top of it multiple times (this is adjustable), but with very small timing variations. You sort of have to hear this one for yourself to understand.

Distortion can be used many different ways, I think in the past it was primarily a guitar effect, but can be used on many other instruments, synths as well.

So much for one or two sentences.... :p

Last edited:
RhythmRmixd said:
Reverb adds space to a sound, by giving it similar characteristics to how it would sound in an "acoustic space", such as a cathedral, or a large room, etc.

Delay repeats a sound, by a number of millisec, or by a note division, depending on what you are trying to accomplish with it. It can "carry away" as well by decreasing the volume on each subsequent repeat.

Chorus gives a unique sound by taking the original sound and stacking the same sound on top of it multiple times (this is adjustable), but with very small timing variations. You sort of have to hear this one for yourself to understand.

Distortion can be used many different ways, I think in the past it was primarily a guitar effect, but can be used on many other instruments, synths as well.

So much for one or two sentences.... :p

thanks for that

Back