How many FX units do you have patched....

Roker1

....into your mixer, of course if you mix with an aoutboard desk.....
What do you use as the minimum no of delays and reverbs on 16-24 track song..
The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out how many effect units I need, coz i decided that I wanna (try to) do some proper stuff :D ...
What do you usually have sharing the same effects in a mix...group of guitars, or drums, or group of BGV etc.....
(m)any comments appreciated :)
Thanx.
Cheers

I have 10 time based type effects units tied into the patch bay. On average I'll utilize 4 units maybe on a tune but sometimes much more.

I have 4 reverb/delay units available on aux sends.

Several compressors and multi-effects units on the patchbay to use for inserts to individual channels.

I rarely use more than two or three at a time.

Dom

Thanks Rat and Franco...
Yeah it does get "out of hand" sometimes with the number of units, in my case, plug-ins at the moment (franco you doin good with only 2 or 3 :D ).....sometimes I choose let's say 1 delay and 2 or 3 reverbs to start with , but then you realize you want this for snare, that for vocals, this for guitars....so yeah ....provided that I've got only one unit for live use (probably useless in the studio), I'm in for a bit of saving up I guess...
I've looked at these two units TC D-TWO delay and TC M3000 reverb, and something in that range would probably be the most I could afford (and probably as good as I would go...i'd probably get a couple of more "ordinary" ones besides those two)....anyone using any of those units, and any comments on them..
thanx
cheers

I use a lot of MIDI sound modules - so I have a total of 12 time based modules patched into my effects sends. 8 of these modules are dedicated to the MIDI sounds (sub mixers) and 4 are dedicated to the main mixer (for vocals and guitars).

I have 6 compressors/gates and a couple of EQ's I can patch in when needed.

Naturally, this is more than I need (I acquired gear over the years - and I'd rather use it than trade it or sell it - given the limited value of used gear).

I would think 3 multi effects units (allowing for maybe 2 different reverbs and a delay) an 2 compressors would be the minimum practical amount of gear needed. However, I'm sure people are getting very good results with even less than that - in particular now that every sound module and guitar effects unit comes with multiple effects.

Yo Roker:

I have two outboard units in my studio: Lexicon and Alesis MidiVerb 3.

I've got a humongous Esonique unit in the basement resting. This unit has some interesting patches but it is a bit bulky.

On my Yam 2816, there are two built in channels for Fx. The Fx on the Yamaha are good and I usually use those for my own work and might use one of the others for a vocalist.

I've never figured out a good effect for yodeling.:p :p

Green Hornet :D :cool: :p

Just FYI...

If you mike an accoustic guitar with two mikes in stereo in a nice medium to live room....Who needs reverb or effects?

Mike a drum kit properly, add a room mike about 12 to 15 feet away... Who needs reverb?

Electric guitars I use amps & effects and "Print" the finished sound.

Keyboards have built in effects.

I keep bass dry (No reverb) but I use a tube preamp and compressor.

The only thing I almost always use effects on is the lead Vocal track, and then just a little delay, or reverb makes it sparkle.

DOM:p

Franco, That's cool, I didn't mean to say you can't do it with only 2 or 3 units only.....wasn't being sarcastic or anything:) ...
Thanks for the comments guys....

cheers

Re: Just FYI...

Dom Franco said:
If you mike an accoustic guitar with two mikes in stereo in a nice medium to live room....Who needs reverb or effects?

Mike a drum kit properly, add a room mike about 12 to 15 feet away... Who needs reverb?

DOM:p
Anyone who has a crappy sounding room.:)

Back