how loud for a guitar tube amp

ikijapan

I know I've searched this before and found some answers, but I've tried to search about 10 times and it keeps saying server not responding.

I am going to get my reamp tonight and send some guitar tracks through a marshall 100w tube amp. That amp is so damn loud, when I put it on 2 it's loud enough to play with a drummer, but I noticed in the book and from other people's comments it is recommended to have it up to 6 or higher to saturate the tubes more or something, and to just get a better tone.

Well, I can turn it up as loud as needs be, but after a certain volume I can't hear my monitors, the amp is just too loud. So, I'm hoping for some quick advice.

Is there a sweet spot per say for the volume, like, does the tone start changing once the volume is at a certain point? Should I dial in the tone I like at a lower more managable volume, and then crank it, or is that going to be pointless because the tone will alter with the louder volume?

Is there any advantage to record this loud? Because I had not recorded this loud prior to owning a tube amp, my solid state 200w marshall, doesnt get as loud at 10, as this thing does at 3 or 4.

Any help ??

You don't have to crank your amp to 6. I've recorded tons of guitars and have never had anyone complain about the tone.

What kinds of guitar tones are ya lookin for? I've recorded a 15 watt Fender Blues Junior with a decent gain pedal and gotten very good tones at modest apartment levels - the output volume itself is not necessary, per se, but changes from amp to amp - if ya got a 100 watt all-tube Marshall and it sounds good on 2, record it that way. It is certainly the case that turnin up those tubes will give a "fuller" gain sound - but like someone suggested, I'd get an attenuator - ya dont want to go deaf :)

And plus, not being able to hear what it sounds like through your monitors is a problem - might you have the option of two rooms? Its that or record everything and keep playing back to see if you like what was put on tape.

cusebassman said:
And plus, not being able to hear what it sounds like through your monitors is a problem - might you have the option of two rooms?

This is what I'm already doing, :D . I have a seperate tracking room down the hall in a closed in room, but the amp is so loud that it leaks out of the room, and at about 5 or 6 it is equal in volume with my monitors that are in my face, therefor making judgements on the sound very skewed.

I am doing a high gain hard rock/metal reamp this time around.

I never use attenuators, they seem dangerous to me, somehow. For very loud amps, the best bet is to enclose them. Should you have problems with the enclosure leaking sound, try visquine (sheet plastic, sold in hardware stores) to make it airtight, then put moving blankets over the visquine, then throw a few over the amp and mic. If this doesn't kill the leakage, see if you can't find a closet or small room further from your control room to use, or on a different slab or floor. It's very expensive and labor intensive to soundproof properly, but if you make a room airtight and suck up the high end with soft walls, you can usually get something workable going on.

You want the power tubes to get hit hard enough to overdrive, and then to supplement that with the amp's distortion. So turn the gain all the way down, set your EQ flat, and turn the amp up until you hear it start to overdrive. Then use the distortion/gain to bring in a little bit more distortion, but not too much. If you can, use speakers that have lower handling so they get hit harder too. I prefer to use lower wattage tube amps (5-10 watts) and run overdrive pedals into them with them cranked all the way. They're louder than what 2 probably is on your marshall, but the distortion you get that way is perfect for thick rhythm guitars.

Alternatively, you can set your mic up until you find the sweet spot on a speaker (I like to use my ear) and then mess with the amp until you think it sounds good through the monitors.

You don't NEED to crank an amp to get good sound. Infact, a loud amp is going to interact with the room more and that is usually bad for home recordists. It's all about sound in the end, and if you can get something you like at low volumes, then go for it. Explore all avenues. Don't buy into the hype!

ikijapan said:
Is there a sweet spot per say for the volume, like, does the tone start changing once the volume is at a certain point? Should I dial in the tone I like at a lower more managable volume, and then crank it, or is that going to be pointless because the tone will alter with the louder volume?

Hello
As stated tube saturation IS important but so is how hard the speaker is driven too so their wattage is important too. if you think about how much the speaker is screaming and popping out it starts to get compressed as it gets more driven because it cant go out any futher or it takes a lot more power to due to resistance. well it seems like that to me any way i'm sure someone can explain better.

Not being condescending but were you given the amp? because understanding why it should sound the way it does is a very important factor in tube amps and really should be known before buying the amp (given that cranking a 100w marshall probably wont be allowed in shop!). Taken you have it maybe you should look more into it as it will really help your recordings! Personally i think Marshall's rock and sound solid with a 57 off axis (not on the dust cap), cant get enough of that mid range crunch!, mmmmmm.

Back