How long of an RCA can I run?

Ziller

I am going to mixdown some music to my computer, and I'm wondering how long of an RCA type patch cable I can run from my board to the computer without loosing to much signal quality. My computer is 1 floor up from my studio. I figure it's about 20' as the drill boars. I do have a remote for my recorder, and get use that at the computer to start/stop/rewind the recorder. I can go the the local Audio/Vidio supply shop and get a decent cable and switchcraft connectors.

I just don't want to lug the computer downstairs everytime I want to create a wav file, and I certainly don't want to take apart the studio.

Thanks,
Ziller

Hey Gidge...

A "connector" that is balanced (XLR or TRS 1/4") would also suggest a balanced signal. In that case, yes it would make a difference. You could with decent quaity wire make a run of around 250' before any signal loss could possibly be detected. I have seen cable specs that claimed it can run for over 450' before signal loss. Claims!!!! (probably true though).

More at stake here is the unbalanced signal which does not enjoy the same impedence, nor the same RFI/EMI cancellation that balanced circuits do.

Good Day!

Last edited:
I do have balanced outs on the board. I suppose I could run two balanced cables from there to the computer, but then I would have to convert it. Would using those inline Bal -> UnBal converters work, or would that defeat the purpose?

I actually did lug the computer (and monitor) down todays just to record a wav file. Not what I want to do all the time.

Back