How long does it usually take...

deejaytrixx

for you to mix vocals? At work I can bang it out fairly quickly at my rate (bout 2 to 3 hours, plus coming back the next day to see if I need to clean everything up..total of around 5 hours)..But of course at home in my hobby studio, it takes like a week!

Do I just suck at using my home studio or does anyone else take similar in length?

To mix vocals... to... what?

To turn them up and make them sound like they should be in the mix? If it takes more than about 2 minutes, you're doing something wrong.

Editing? Comping? Sure, that takes time. How long is up to how bad the vocalist is.

To mix vocals... to... what?

To turn them up and make them sound like they should be in the mix? If it takes more than about 2 minutes, you're doing something wrong.

Editing? Comping? Sure, that takes time. How long is up to how bad the vocalist is.

Editing, comping, cleaning up, shaping, controlling dynamic range and whatever else you have to do to get ur vocals to sound like they belong..2 minutes...u sir are a beast...or work wiht some amazing talent, with a shit load of very topnotch gear in ur house.

To do all of the above usually takes me a couple hours, but that depends on how bad I butchered it.
:p

this question goes alot deeper than I think you realized when you asked... The first thing to know before answering the question is how many takes of the song are you having to comp from? For me, I typically like to do 3 takes all the way through, and stop at that. Basically, I'll listen to all three all the way through, write down each spot where there is an obvious issue, and see which take is best overall. I'll also write down if something from one of the takes was just unusually awesome. Then, I'll start with the overall best take, and pull from the others only for problematic areas that were marked, or if a particularly good section can be smoothly comped in. If I were forced to mix somebody else's tracks, where they had tracked like 10 takes, this process may take longer than normal. Overall comping time, about 30 minutes. Hour tops. Basically, one listen all the way through of each take, about 10 minutes to make all the edits happen. Another listen to make sure everything sounds smooth. And I don't just mean like no audible clicks then it's good. Like a phrase followed by one from another performance might just sound unnatural. Maybe even though they sang the second phrase better on take two, they were way more into the mic, and thus it's tonality is far different from the other. you have to be careful about these things.

Next, I will get the overall level set in the mix, and get the compressor/s setup to get the dynamics a bit more balanced. Most singers I've worked with have poor control, so compressors are crucial to getting the vocals to sit in a mix and be heard without popping out all over the place. This part takes about 10 minutes. Usually two listens through the song.

Reverb, and EQ usually are very quick. Only a single listen through the song is needed to get it dialed in, a followup listen to confirm. However, the verb is something subject to a fresh listen the next day after, and will likely require some tweaking once the entire song is mixed and you're just getting to the final touches. Sometimes it's really hard to hear how the verb will really help the vocal prior to the rest of the song being completely finished.

I guess if there are any last production goodies I want to throw in like delays, and such, it might add a little more time, but all in all, usually the whole thing should take about an hour per song when I do it, but some quicker, some longer.

Editing, comping, cleaning up, shaping, controlling dynamic range and whatever else you have to do to get ur vocals to sound like they belong..2 minutes...u sir are a beast...or work wiht some amazing talent, with a shit load of very topnotch gear in ur house.
The gear (while indeed nice) has little to do with it. Some of the better recordings I've ever made were done on very (VERY) humble gear. What most studios would consider "junk" in many cases. Several were made live to two-track. There's a wonderful freedom to that sometimes... You have to commit. You have to play it safe and get it right, period. There's not enough rope to hang yourself with.

You can kill yourself over micro-polishing recordings for weeks. Been there too. But I'd rather just get it right during tracking. That's 90% up to the talent. Get a bunch of guys on the right side of the mics that really have their sh*t together and the job is simply to capture what happens.

I was put under the gun a few years ago - I was thrown behind the FOH board for one of my freaking heros. He leaned in and said "Hey - Can you record this?" So I called the wife and had her bring me my Apogee MiniMe and my laptop.

I had around three minutes to make a stereo mix from post-fade aux sends (3 was L, 4 was R - all panning was adjusted by the relationships of those two aux mixes. No pan knobs). SM57s, MD504s, BBE direct boxes, SM81 OH's - Typical live fare - into a $2500 A&H GL2200 console. A decent enough board - But pretty noisy with "reasonable" preamps (nothing like RNP's or what not). Not the board you'd want in a recording situation.

No monitors - Had to do the mix *in the auditorium* with headphones. After the three minutes, I had a quick chance to listen to the 30 second snippet I made (again, with headphones) and make gross adjustments to whatever I could.

Probably the worst recording scenario I could ever put myself in.

The recording on the other hand -- The hat is a bit hot (mostly due to how amazingly loud the hat was in the monitors). The bass is a bit shy (but wow, it was loud in the room) - But it sounds fine. NO compression, no EQ, no additional effects other than a little reverb (although the guitarist was running a Bradshaw rig). And sure - It sounded a little anemic at first but then I had a chance to run it through the garden here and spice it up a bit.

But it's just a classic example of what happens when the talent actually has talent. Nothin' to it. Sure, the bass is shy. But it's clear, you can hear it. It'd be fine if it was too loud also. Sure the hat is too hot. But it's a freaking great sounding hat played by a guy who knows how to hit it. Those anomalies don't "bug you" when you crank it up - They don't ruin the mix.

But it's just like any other mix also - If you can't just bring the faders up to around unity and have a reasonable resemblance to a decent mix, you should have a long talk with the tracking guy.

Talent from the talent is them knowing what sounds good. Talent from the engineering perspective can be as complicated as you want to make it, or as simple as capturing it as best you can and just getting out of the way.

(EDIT) I'll probably take this down quickly, but here's a snippet of snippets of the recording in question: http://www.massivemastering.com/special/liverecording.m3u Nothing with vocals on it (I really don't want to give it away if you know what I mean) but the vocals sounded fantastic. Again, with no compression or EQ, through a 58, straight into the A&H's preamps. Surprisingly, by a guy without an awful lot of raw vocal talent. But again, he fit the suit sound-wise.

And for the record (no pun intended), it was recorded at 44.1kHz/24-bit, without the *summed* signal ever peaking above -20dBFS (meaning that if it were multi-tracked, it's very likely that no one signal would've ever hit above -32 or -30dBFS. Ever).

I can't even be bothered to record....so mixing is like some myth or something. I don't even know what it is. Plus my voice sounds like a combination of that chipmunk I ran over the other day and got caught somewhere under the wheels of my car for, like, 10 miles and which I shot on the side of the road to put out of its misery...and some kind of sick bird that's lived it's whole life in hellish captivity and the only words it'll repeat for it's sick master is 'kill me kill me' over and over again until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Massive, I would love to learn a few things about tracking from you!

These guys like King Crimson? Cool recording you did. You got better isolation/tone/balance than I do in my best basement sessions! :o

Vocals dont necessarily take me a long time to mix but theyre the first thing I'm probably going to want to track over again. :rolleyes:

Nope, not King Crimson (although on an unrelated note, I was working with Adrian Belew last week).

The isolation was easy - It was a stage and they had a little space - the worst part was how loud everything was in the drummers wedges - especially the hat.

Everything else was pretty much just them.

Nope, not King Crimson (although on an unrelated note, I was working with Adrian Belew last week).

That's awesome. Must have been interesting to work with.I thought the guitarist had a little of that king crimson noodling feel to it when I listened.

When tracking, I need to find the balance between isolation separation and tone. I shall work on it! :)

Back