How it's Made - Neumann U87ai

kojdogg

bollocks redux!
This is pretty cool heh heh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=_dAbQVpHQ_M
It's cool how they show the capsule backplate being drilled (by machine-- to think it used to be done by obsessive-compulsive German dudes), and the grill cutting/assembly and detail, but funny how they pop the pre-wired circuit board into plate.
The artificial turf part is actually strangely interesting too :)

i saw this when it aired on discovery several weeks ago. pretty cool stuff. they don't tell you it's a neumann, but obviously it is.

i just learned about the emblem's color coding on neumann mics in recording magazine last month. it's rare that they do anything worth reading these days, but i still have a year left on my subscription, so i get what i can out of it.

in case you missed it:

red=transformerless
black=tube
purple=transformer-based solid state
green=dynamic
blue=digital mic body

cool eh? :)

Looks like fun...Ive put the plumbing in a few hotubs over the years...I didnt know that a U87 could be put together in less than 5 minutes

cool

That's good stuff. I love that show. If I ever want to run my wife out of the living room, I put on How It's Made or Modern Marvels. Works every time. :D

Love that show too - I can only hope that the horrible theme music wasn't recorded with one of those mics!!

I love how procariously the mic appears to be attached to the arm in the anechoic chamber. It wobbles a bit as its shoved in by the machine, but I'm sure its fine :D

What happened to tuning the capsule?

Sheesh, I could make a Neumann capsule.
All I need is a Chinese backplate, German mylar, and decaf Colombian coffee.

Back