How is this cascading pan effect done?

ivl multiple pickup

i've got this old IVL pickup and rackmount unit that reads each string seperately and then writes MIDI tones for every note. It was made in the early 80's, and it's alot like Roland's guitar synth except you can send MIDI signals with it (to a keyboard, sequencer, etc). Maybe our boyz in Pearl Jizam were using something like this.

Just had a thought... it's similar to what pdaniels explains with manually drawn automation in Cubase, except I use Sonar, which I don't think can do it that way.

You could zoom in on the part where you want to apply the "cascading" effect, split the wave into however many parts you like (say, every time a new note starts), then apply different clip pan automation to each part/note, starting with panning on one side and gradually moving to the opposite side with each part/note.

Any software that has pan automation should be able to do that, plus you wouldn't have to go buy new pick-ups or plug-ins.

I have a song that includes several long cymbal swells that I want to try that with. Thanks for that great idea, bsanfordnyc :)

I'll have to go with Tex, it sounds like good ole delay to me, but this is how it sounds to me. It sounds like they left one track clean, or basically clean with a little flange and a touch of distortion. Then it sounds like they did a stereo delay panning with a doubled track. It also sounds like there's different Qs there.
Anyone else hear something similar?

I designed a guitar pickup way back when (1983-ish) that had 6 independent poles that would feed 6 pan knobs and a stereo out. Not having the technical skills to overcome the crosstalk between pole-sets, I sent the concept out to several pickup and guitar manufacturers with nothing to show for it except a bunch of "thanks, but no one would want this" letters from just about everyone.

Except Kramer...

About a year later, the Kramer "Ripley" pickup came out. No, I'm not trying to say anything here... Not really... Anyway, it was a six-pole unit with 6 pan knobs and a stereo out. It sort of flopped, but I know of a few people that bought them. In use, it was absolutely effortless to get that effect.

PJ could very well have been using the Ripley.

By the way, make sure you get your ideas patented.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Back