How is the trapping in this room?

iceyflame

Going to be moving house and will be moving the studio into this room, I don't want a very dead sound (I like the sound of big live drums), but I would like to get rid of some bass mud and nodes as I experienced in my old rooms.

I also have another much smaller room that I will be making very dead and using as an iso booth, so i'm happy to keep this room quite lively. The other room is too small to be a control room, if anyone was going to mention.

sketchupsmall.png

sketchupsmall2.png

The size of the room is approx. 12.5 x 14.4ft
All of the traps (the gray things in the Sketchup) will be 6" thick.

Let me know if there are any criticisms - I reckon I won't need a corner trap where the door is because its a little sunken in area before the door opens, but I was thinking about putting another corner bass trap on the left of the desk - not sure if that is a good or a bad idea though.

Let me know what you think,
Chris

You need much more than just two corner bass traps and one absorber. Understand that rectangle rooms have 12 corners, not just four. Also, your mix position is not symmetrical. You should set up facing one short wall (swap the keyboard and desk locations), centered left and right, with the drums behind you. More here:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

yup...yer gonna need more trapping.
I'd start with putting your desk on a short wall, back to the length...trap the corners to your left and right...traps in the corners behind you...pretty much every corner you can...

In addition the Ethan's link, there's

http://gikacoustics.com/room_setup.php

you can also google John Sayers and come up with some good info.

Luck man...:drunk:

To be honest I don't want a super-dead fully treated room, are you saying that having these traps will do nothing at all to deaden bass response in the room? As that is all i'm interested in doing.

It's not that they'll do nothing...it's just that they won't do enough.

Since bass waves are stronger than your mids and highs...they'll pretty much just bounce around and stomp shit outta the upper freqs.
That'll make it hard to hear what's really goin on in the mix.

And don't worry...it's not gonna make your room dead...just controlled.

all imho, of course ;)

I'd start with putting your desk on a short wall,

That's what I was gonna say.. I think you always want your monitors firing towards the farthest away wall, the back wall reflections will be weaker then. That's a great place for 2 traps, I'd do the other 2 if at all possible.

And don't worry...it's not gonna make your room dead...just controlled.

I was gonna say that too. Don't worry indeed, your room wouldn't be dead if you had traps like that on all 12 corners!

Stuff I can be the 1st to say: If you can, back the desk off the wall a little, even a foot or 2 would help. 3 or 4 would be great, altho I realize the room isn't huge.. Put that absorber on the wall in front of the desk.

To be honest I don't want a super-dead fully treated room, are you saying that having these traps will do nothing at all to deaden bass response in the room? As that is all i'm interested in doing.

You won't have a dead room even if you add another eight bass traps. Not even close.

Also, you really should turn that listening position so that you face the wall the drum kit is on. The way you're positioned is almost the worst place you could be in the room.

Frank

Back