How is techno made?

SacredDespair

Ok, I had wondered about this for quite some time, so I'm going to finally ask it and look stupid. How is techno/industrial/rave music made? By made, I mean, what hardware is used, software, etc. I have been interested in making techno for quite some time, but have never really known how. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

a lot of techno/house/rave/etc. musicians use synthesizers...hardware or software. Large or small . Read up on MIDI synths (especially what MIDI is and how it works).

Reason, Logic, Fruity Loops, etc.

ok, I\'ve begun reading on Midi, but I\'d like to ask another question, and no, I\'m not going to stupidly buy something without taking your advice and reading up on it first, I\'m just still curious. How do they make their music sound so fast? and What kind of software is good at a pretty low price? I have a crappy Casio Wk-3000 that supports Midi, would that possibly work with software until I got a better one? Again, all hypothetical and out of curiosity, I have no plans of buying anything without knowing my stuff. Thanks

SacredDespair said:
ok, I\'ve begun reading on Midi, but I\'d like to ask another question, and no, I\'m not going to stupidly buy something without taking your advice and reading up on it first, I\'m just still curious. How do they make their music sound so fast? and What kind of software is good at a pretty low price?

They speed it up. It's done by measures or loops. Fruity Loops is a good one. Things like arpeggiators take chords and make them into fast notes automatically. You can do it wth any program, But Fruity Lops, Acid and Reason are what you wanna look at.

So you just sort of have to learn by doing on these pieces of software? That seems to be the only thing that makes sense. Are there any decent demo versions of them? Also, how do the different voices work, like, are they in the software, or on the internet, or just the ones in the controller? I am really sorry about all the questions, I just don't know much about this particular subject.

scrubs said:
I think the more important question is, "Why is techno made?"

ah, man...there's some pretty cool stuff out there in the electronica world. Both sounds and rhythm wise.
I like to listen to it a lot just to kind of get in a trance.

SacredDespair said:
ok, I\'ve begun reading on Midi, but I\'d like to ask another question, and no, I\'m not going to stupidly buy something without taking your advice and reading up on it first, I\'m just still curious. How do they make their music sound so fast? and What kind of software is good at a pretty low price? I have a crappy Casio Wk-3000 that supports Midi, would that possibly work with software until I got a better one? Again, all hypothetical and out of curiosity, I have no plans of buying anything without knowing my stuff. Thanks
Another way you can speed up your music is with a pitch changer on a turntable. Normal turntables won't have them but ones used for scratching like an AT-PL120, has a pitch adjustment where you can speed up or slow down by 20%.

SO, I think I have one more question, if you are using software (cakewalk, fruityloops, etc.) how would you trigger them for live performances?

I produce some eletronic music, especially breaks psytrance and dowtempo but I made some techno too
However the concept in "how to make it" its the same

As others said you can use Reason, and that a lot of producers use it. That's true, and why is that?

Reason is integrated studio with synths, samplers, samples, mastering devices, drum machines, a sequencer and an immense sound bank
All that in 1 software. It has everything you need to make your own eltronic generated music, being Techno or not

So in short, you dont need a hardware to make one, you will have better quality if you use it thou. Many eletronic producers use hardwares synths and effects processors, but as a starting point you dont need it

Imagine a complete techno track playing. All of it layers and sounds were eletronic arranged, but that does not means its eletronic created
For ex, the drum usage is mostly taken from real drums record sessions and separated in forms of samples. Then the producer sequence and arrange those samples in his sequencer
Samples is very common for the drum part of a techno track
You can however, record your own drum sounds. Just like many do with voices as well

As for effects, weird and mechanic sounds and the kick is mostly synthesized. The real talent of a eletronic producer is defined in how he operate that instrument

The synths, being software or hadware is the intrument for eletronic music. You can re-create or create every sound possible

As for live, you can use those sequencers to arrange your live. However you can use a more flexible program like Ableton Live

SoundofMind said:
As for live, you can use those sequencers to arrange your live. However you can use a more flexible program like Ableton Live

Man, I feel stupid asking, but what does this mean? Does it mean I would have to play it on a keyboard live or that I could set it up where it would do it itself live? If there's some kind of site to answer these questions I'd love to hear what it is. If not, I'm sorry to keep bothering you guys.

SacredDespair said:
Does it mean I would have to play it on a keyboard live or that I could set it up where it would do it itself live?
This question is at the center of most live bands who depend on midi instruments for the bulk of their sound.

If you rely too much on preprogrammed tracks you might as well just run an MP3 of the song and sing over it --- not too far from Karaoke. If you depend on real musicians to play the tracks you will need to add a drummer or keyboard player every time you add a new part to the song.

A delicate balance of the two is necessary to make the audience feel like they're getting their money's worth and that you're responding to them just as you expect them to respond to you.

Your ultimate goal, of course, is to put bennychico11 in a trance. But failing that, get at least one like-minded person and blend your ideas with theirs. And your equipment too. If neither of you sing, be an instrumental group. If both of you sing, you may be on your way to a chart sensation after a little practice and a few shows under your belts.

SacredDespair said:
I have a crappy Casio Wk-3000 that supports Midi, would that possibly work with software until I got a better one?

you'll need a Midi interface to get it into your computer. other than that, as you know the Midi only triggers the software, and so your crappy Casio won't affect the sound quality, therefore, unless there's a major issue with it, it won't need upgrading.

In my opinion most of this CRAP is made by samples from fruity loops, reason and what can be a shit toon of other programs because some kid likes break beats and he has no musical talent, nor can he/she play an instrument...nor do they know anything about outboard gear or recording techniques

chestwick91 said:
In my opinion most of this CRAP is made by samples from fruity loops, reason and what can be a shit toon of other programs because some kid likes break beats and he has no musical talent, nor can he/she play an instrument...nor do they know anything about outboard gear or recording techniques

your opinion is noted, but I have no intention of just using samples to make music, I have played piano for quite a few years and am quite competent at playing it. I find it highly unfair for you to devalue the musical talent of others simply because you dislike their style of music. There are plenty of bands that I dislike that I can still respect merely because I know they are good at what they do, and not what I like. If you don\'t like this style, fine, don\'t bother with the thread, I was just looking for help from those who will give it.

Also, when I speak of techno, I am merely talking about the general sound of the music, the music I\'m truly talking about is more a mixture of Coldwave and Aggrotech. Bands like Combichrist, Psyclon Nine, wumpscut, KMFDM. So, please, any other help or ideas are appreciated. And I\'m not trying to offend you Chestwick, I\'m just stating my opinion on what you said.

SacredDespair said:
your opinion is noted, but I have no intention of just using samples to make music, I have played piano for quite a few years and am quite competent at playing it. I find it highly unfair for you to devalue the musical talent of others simply because you dislike their style of music. There are plenty of bands that I dislike that I can still respect merely because I know they are good at what they do, and not what I like. If you don\'t like this style, fine, don\'t bother with the thread, I was just looking for help from those who will give it.

+1

it's a bit more than just placing samples in a program like Fruity Loops. If that were true then all electronica would have been done already.
Try it sometime and you'll see. Yes, there are the boring songs out there that seem rudimentary, but that happens with any style. Probably even the style chestwick prefers.

There's probably at LEAST one electronica song out there that you've dug in your lifetime. Whether you knew it or not.

chestwick91 said:

Oh my god. Typical teenager idiot. :rolleyes:

Or maybe a idiotic adult who at this point of his life still can assume such things and formulate it like the way you did

This is not an opinion this is an assumption

Most of the eletronic producers are very well talented musicians and most of them play keyboards/piano too. We dont draw everything with mouse

Even in Techno, which is generally related to commercial clubby music, but also can be variants of really serious producers with deep musical knowloge

I had three bands in my life. I was drummer in two of them and tried ( :D ) to sing in another one. I also play the piano and have been formaly studying music for almost 12 years now. I have always loved classical music as well ( which is by the way, very related, in structure, to many eletronic music)

I was once a hater of eletronica on my punk rock days, but with time I learned to appreciate some of its elements and today I love it
I still love the others kind of music, but eletronic is now the one I want to be involved, just like many others producers who are musicians as well

In fact I think eletronica is far more creative these days than mainstream music/rock music. FAR more

You are just ignorant about it, and ignorants dont know better

I don't listen to much techno, but I really do appreciate it when it crosses over and livens up some rock...New Order for example, have done incredible things with a 'live' bass sound an 808 machine. The issue of live techno is interesting....is it the Chemical Brothers and Aphex Twin that mix live with laptops? I'll probably get shot down for calling them techno, I'm not so up to speed on my genres. I know a guy who does 'IDM', apparently 'Intelligenty Dance Music'. He sues Reason. The first thing I noticed was his recordings just seem so polished because he's triggering perfectly recorded samples.

Back