How important is touring?

portugueseninja

The internet has a potential audience of millions, if you can harness it effectively. So do you think touring has the same profound effect on the success of a band these days?

Do you think it's necessary to have some sort of name for yourself before playing shows? Or is it just one of those things where you have to pay your dues and go through the motions of starting out playing shows to 1 or 2 people and build up?

Obviously, recordings can never replace a live show. But how have you worked up to the point where you can play to a decent audience?

Any and all thoughts welcome!

touring is overrated. I have no clue why people want to go on tour (aka going to the next big city for a weekend) when nobody in their own town knows them.

Master your home city before touring. Then we'll talk.

I disagree with Seafroggys, touring is an excellent way to promote your band, in fact, there are people who wont listen you music just because you don't play live, not because is bad music, but because it doesn't take their attention. For example, imagine a guy near a club, he passes by and sees your flyer on it, that guy probably will get home, turn on his laptop and search your music (myspace or whatever) to check if worth to check you out. That happens a lot, right now with the internet even more, that guy and many others will check the clubs website for the bands that will play in a particular day, and they will check your music before buy their ticket. Also, one fan usually wont go alone to the show, will invite a friend.

Off course, before go touring through the country, go to the clubs in your city, gather some fans to your list, add some videos to youtube, etc. make yourself known in a small circle at first.

Check this video

Cheers

+100 Zero. I totally agree, If you can sustain yourself around your city and area, do some smaller tours, and put out mass quantities of music and promotion on the internet, you definitely increase your chances of being noticed. Your music is what captures their attention or passes them by. By them, i mean the audience. :drunk:

I think you misunderstand me.

What I meant to say was that there is no reason to go on a needlessly expensive tour when you haven't, so-to-speak, "conquered" your base city. If you've played 3 shows and got 5 people at each one in your home city, there is no point in touring.

Touring is good, perhaps my overrated comment was misunderstood. But you can't just tour because its cool or you think its a good idea. Touring is overrated in most people's cases. The Beatles didn't go on tours until they conquered their home cities (Liverpool and to a lesser extent, Hamburg).

I just see so often these bands from my city who wants to constantly tour, yet no one knows who the fuck they are. Do you expect it to be better everywhere else?

I disagree with Seafroggys

me too. adamantly. a band can't survive anymore on cd sales. it's too easy to just google the band's name + torrent and have the disc for free. i have been turned on to bands recently that i will definitely go see live without having ever bought their music, and i know i ain't alone.

me too. adamantly. a band can't survive anymore on cd sales. it's too easy to just google the band's name + torrent and have the disc for free. i have been turned on to bands recently that i will definitely go see live without having ever bought their music, and i know i ain't alone.

probably get a shirt, too.

Oh, yeah??

How does one do that when one has three kids at University plus an ex-wife with alimony payments??
Give up the music?

lol. if you think music is gonna pay for all that, yup. if you play as a hobby, then no, you can still play music. touring WILL BE out of the question though.

I'm not even talking about CD sales. Or sales of any kind. I'm talking strictly about live shows, performing. There is no point in touring if you can't even draw in your home city. That's all there is to it. 96% of musicians with touring aspirations can't even do that.

lol. if you think music is gonna pay for all that, yup. if you play as a hobby, then no, you can still play music. touring WILL BE out of the question though.

Hobby my ass!! Songwriting isn't easy. I want the recognition. I don't write the stuff just to sit around at home singing it to myself.

Do you write?
yes.
Don't you want any recognition or appreciation of your work?
first of all, no. i am over it. i ain't writing songs to have people tell me how awesome they are.

secondly, just because i write songs doesn't mean anyone other than me is obligated to appreciate it. it seems to me that you believe that just because you write songs you think you should be admired or something. :laughings:

yes.

first of all, no. i am over it. i ain't writing songs to have people tell me how awesome they are.

secondly, just because i write songs doesn't mean anyone other than me is obligated to appreciate it. it seems to me that you believe that just because you write songs you think you should be admired or something. :laughings:

"awesome"..."admired"...."obligated".... - those are YOUR words. They were never implied nor even hinted at in what I posted.

Back