How important is the equidistant monitor/head triangle?

ola

How important is it that the monitors point directly at your mixing position? In my latest drawing (see below), the monitors point "behind" the mixing position and I think I've seen a similar "mixing triangle" in one of John's studio plans. Should I try to move the monitors closer together to make the triangle smaller and thus creating a better monitor/head triangle? Which is better; to have the monitors far apart or to have them pointing exactly at the mixing position?

Cheers

/Ola

Floor_Plan_4.gif

That's a good point Ola - I always aimed the speakers behind the engineer, as did all the other designs I looked at. The aim was to put the engineer in the field and slightly off axis to the horns.

But now with 5:1 I have aimed directly at the engineer with all speakers.

Damn you've got me thinking again......... Mutter Mutter Mutter......:D

cheers
john

A lot of things affect that equation; acoustics of the room and how your specific monitors behave. Conventional wisdom concerning nearfields though would dictate that you would maintain the triangle to keep the sweet spot centered around your head, IMHO.

Here's the latest version. You simply move the furniture a bit when you're mixing. Lucky me, my GF works with office furniture so we can buy wierd shaped desks on wheels pretty darn cheap:)

Waddya think?

Floor_Plan_5_2_centre.gif
Floor_Plan_5_centre.gif

He he, I simply say that all studia have windows indoors...:rolleyes: Maybe I'll install webcams for the hidden angles.

Back