How Important is that Meter Bridge?

tonyA

How important is that meter bridge on that mixer when you are tracking/mixing/mastering? Can you get by with just the peak LED on the console or the averaging meter is really that important?

Just a survey which would greatly affect my buying decision of a mixing console I am trying to buy for an upgrade. Thanks in advance?

Depends. It's useful. Extra useful if you use built in preamps, or preamps that doesn't have metering. Setting the channel and master fader to zero db means you get the master meter to display the input level, which can be used for finetuning if the input levels are conistent.

I don't like just having a peak led. A signal/peak is OK for me. It's a matter of taste.

I have to have a meter bridge.

Its faster for me when trouble shooting problems with inputs for one. It also gives me a visual of what channels have something going on. If I have the meters going on the MTR and nothing on the meter bridge it tells me where to look. It also hides crap. Impresses children and men. Musicians too.

Its a taste thing. VU W/ peaks or LED W/ peaks. I have clip led's on input and summing bus'

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
Impresses children and men. Musicians too.
To impress, I hook up my O scope to the mains out and let that run. I tell them I'm checking for phase issues.:D They stare at it like a lava lamp. And I dig a meter bridge too.

If you are looking to save some money by holding off on a meter bridge, it probably won't hurt unless you are planning on using the preamps built into a board. Even then the channels can be solo'd to the main meters.

The problem I find with most of the boards that use the digital meters on the boards are that they don't seem to be true to what is going to the ADATs. I have almost always used outboard preamps and channel strips direct to the ADAT for tracking and this gets the best results.

On the other hand if you are going to be using the same board for live work, then the meter bridge is important as during a performance, you will need to be able to watch all the inputs in order to make quick corrections.

I hope this helps.

tonyA said:
How important is that meter bridge on that mixer when you are tracking/mixing/mastering? Can you get by with just the peak LED on the console or the averaging meter is really that important?

Just a survey which would greatly affect my buying decision of a mixing console I am trying to buy for an upgrade. Thanks in advance?

I would say very important. You are measuring 2 separate things. Peak meters are good for digital systems to help prevent digital overs. VU meters measure more of an average and respond more like the human ear. This allows you track the perceived volume of a mix.

For example, if you see the peak volume going at maximum at certain points, but the average volume is relatively low, it may be a symptom of having too much kick or snare in a mix. Having the combination of a peak and VU meter is a good monitor of the envelope of your mix.

Track Rat said:
To impress, I hook up my O scope to the mains out and let that run. I tell them I'm checking for phase issues.:D They stare at it like a lava lamp. And I dig a meter bridge too.

lol little things amaze little minds. i admit i get caught up in all the blinking lights and meter bridges going up and down and side to side in some cases.

you can still meter your channels by soloing the channel and refering to the master meter on most mixers.

Basicly, you can work without it, without problems..but onces you get used to it you can't without it.

when mixing multiple tracks (commonly 32+) its a handy utility so see what is where in a glimpse

Back