How Hot Levels at 24bit?

verticalplunge

How hot should your levels be when you are recording at 24bits? I realize that recording too low causes digital distortion and that too loud causes clipping, but what is the safe range, where there is no discernable difference in quality?

I usually try to bring my peaks as close to 0 as possible without actually hitting it and average around -10, but this is usually tricky when you are performing and recording at the same time. It's a lot easier to shoot for -2 on peaks and -12 on average. Just wondering if this would have an adverse effect.

Thnx.

-DC

24bit recording offers you 48db of resolution greater than 16bit recording. (in other words, a 24bit sample at -48db has the same resolution as a 16bit sample at 0db)

Now tracking at -48db would sort of defeat much of the purpose of 24bit recording, plus there are real-world considerations such as noise to consider. However, you don't have to push those meters as much as you would at 16bit.

Shoot for your big peaks to be in the -6 to -3db range. Remember, anything over 0db is clipped...there is no breathing room when we're talking digital. Then if you're averaging in the -12 to -6db range you're doing just great.

It's better to track safe than to try to squeeze bits, especially when you're recording yourself which is difficult enough! Clipping sounds a lot worse than the difference between -3db and -9db (for which I'll bet you won't hear a darn bit of difference).

Also, giving yourself some room allows you to perform some processing without having to turn the track down (as much).

Slackmaster 2000

verticalplunge said:
I realize that recording too low causes digital distortion and that too loud causes clipping, but what is the safe range, where there is no discernable difference in quality?

There is no distortion caused by recording at too low of a level. You just risk more hiss in the background. Good advice from Slack. For best results just record as hot as you can without clipping.

Well, in a loose kind of way it is actually distortion. The "quieter" you get, the fewer bits you're using to represent the waveform, therefore the more distorted the waveform capture/reproduction.

Try this: re-record a good 16bit track (peaks near 0) at about -70db, then crank the volume of the new track up by 70db and compare that to the original.

This sort of discussion really applies to both digital and analog mediums...just the "how come?'s" are different.

Slackmaster 2000

Back