How good is VS-890 Without mic pre amp?

Divine

The Ultimate
I am about to be helping a friend record some songs at his home studio where a Roland VS-890 is the center piece for recording. Can anyone tell me how good of a sound he will get running a mic directly into the VS-890? Should he add a convertor or preamp of some sort? I am unfamiliar with the Vs-890 and just saw his set up and was thinking how to optimize his gear. I think he is using a Audia Techna Mic (At4033?).

Thanks

Just wait a couple of days until the Planet is back online. There are hundreds of posts about the VS preamps... Many people says they are bad, but I don't think you can hear that much difference when mixing all recorded tracks together... But that's just my opinion...

/Anders

Thanks

I had posted to the planet and then it went down hours later :(
They been down all week, I hope they can come back. I was trying to get some work done in the next few days.

Maybe I should add... I bought a Behringer mic preamp and a small mixer to get some better preamps for my VS1680. And it do sound a bit better - if you listen to the track solo. But good EQing in the final mixing stage probably does more. If you are good at mixing (or not very bad at least), you can manage with the VS preamps... One thing people says on the planet is that you never should turn the gain knobs more than 9-10 o'clock - after that, more and more noise is added to the signal... And that's probably so... But I don't think you can hear this noise if you don't turn up the volume on your monitors so high that you will be deaf before noticing the noise.

/Anders

Back