How fast of a MacBook for multi-track audio?

jazztastic

Hi folks,
I am just getting setting up to do my own recording and I was hoping someone could help me with some advice. Specifically, how fast of a laptop (Macbook/Macbook Pro) will I need to record 8-tracks (ideally 24/96) simultaneously thru cubase?

I am looking at used Intel CoreDuo 2.16 Macbooks and Macbook Pros. maybe the new, low-end 13" macbook pro.

To be clear, I have a nice fast desktop at home I'll be using for all the mixing and post stuff. This is strictly for recording and with no effects or anything — just dry tracking of acoustic music.

Also, I will probably use an external HD to record to; can I get away with USB 2 or do I need Firewire, and if so is FW400 fast enough?

The interface I'm using is an io|26.

That's all for now. Thanks so much for your help!

Your IO/26 is FW400, so there's no need for FW800. And since your audio comes in over firewire, even a USB disk will do.

Any Macbook can track eight channels at 24/96. There's hardly any processing involved, so the processor isn't strained at all. And the USB/FW bus isn't that much faster on a higher end machine.

I've been using a MacBook DualCore 8GB RAM that I purchased in 2009. It never seems to choke no matter what I throw at it. Using Propellerhead Record with a two channel Edirol UA-25 I/O. Need Snow Leopard to take advantage of the 8GB, but most machines should have that now.

Hi folks,
I am just getting setting up to do my own recording and I was hoping someone could help me with some advice. Specifically, how fast of a laptop (Macbook/Macbook Pro) will I need to record 8-tracks (ideally 24/96) simultaneously thru cubase?

Well, I wouldn't use a MacBook Air.... Beyond that, you're probably golden no matter what you pick. :)

(Do make sure it has at least a Core 2, of course. You *really* don't want the old 32-bit-only hardware.)

Last edited:
Back