How far apart should I put my monitors?

washingtonbc

I have some Mackie 824's on MOpads and home made monitor stands filled with sand....

My computer desk/workstation is five feet wide. Is that too much separation between monitors? When all set up, the inner edges of the monitors are 5 feet, one inch apart.

Thanks.

BC

How far back are you sitting? Your seating position should be at the point of an equal sided triangle to your speakers. So if you are sitting about 5 feet back, that would be correct. If you are sitting 3 feet back, the your speakers are too far apart.

There's also an element of trial and error.

My speakers are 3 feet apart, but I sit fairly close to them. Incidentally, I also use HR824's on MOPads.

My speaker cones are 6' on center. I sit just a hair under 6' away with my ears lined up vertically approx 1/2 way between the woofer and tweeter. Using Event TR-8 XL's on custom 1" F1-density felt pads (Acoustically rated at 21lb/sq.ft.).

There are a lot of variables in answering this question. The goal is a large sweetspot i.e. that place where you can hear precisely every frequency range from 20 to 20K in detail. Since the potential of this happening is next to nil, there is a checklist of things to play with.

I would say at least a couple feet in from the side walls and according to most sources 1/3 of the way into the room along the longest room axis. Whatever that leaves you, make an equadistant triangle with your head and thats about as good as it's going to get. So optimal positioning is basically going to be dictated by the size of your space.

Or, you could place them where they look nice. This was my wifes recommendation.

i was just reading something that mentioned you don't want to hear the speakers individually, or you should be at a point where the tweeter and driver are one to your ears...if that makes sense.

another ? i never have figured out was the sideway/horizontal positioning...do the woofers go outside or the tweeters?

1) tweeters to the center because thats where the vocals would be on a stage= center.

2) woofers to the center, so you get better seperation from L to R with the tweeters. better stereo image.

pictures show them both ways. i guess it doesn't matter if your mixes sound good and they translate.

Back